SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So working on a project 98, 900 s convertible I recently purchased. Previous owner had it stored in a barn for a long time. Needless to say, the hood insulation had such a large nest in it that it was making contact with many areas in the engine.
Question is- any thoughts on if I need to replace, or can I just go without the insulation? My thought is that it has to be better with nothing compared to keeping what was in there.

ps… this is also after removing another nest from the cabin air filter and replacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
603 Posts
Ya basically, actually its hvac vent insulation from lowes! 😅
Its a sticky backed foam padding with the foil on other side. I just covered the single layer steel panels & left the reinforcement exposed. Now the fan blows nicely over the top of the motor

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Is the primary function noise suppression or protection of the metalwork from heat after the car stops? We 9000 owners know what can happen to the front of the valve cover above the turbocharger. But there are painted areas in the engine bay which don't seem to suffer, although the heat would primarily convect rather than radiate. I've often thought of the adhesive foam/foil method for the 9-5 whose lining is sagging (rather keep the 9000 original as possible).

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Besides the HVAC vent insulation mentioned above, another option is a generic roll of car insulation (i.e., sound deadener and heat barrier), trimming it to size using your original pad as a template, and reusing the insulation clips. I went with the non-adhesive backing variant given that the OEM clips work just fine at keeping it in place.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
305 Posts
Besides the HVAC vent insulation mentioned above, another option is a generic roll of car insulation (i.e., sound deadener and heat barrier), trimming it to size using your original pad as a template, and reusing the insulation clips. I went with the non-adhesive backing variant given that the OEM clips work just fine at keeping it in place.
View attachment 290753
That looks nice. Good idea. I used the Lowes insulation for sound deaden on the floor. Camping World has this stuff on a huge roll which I used to make a windshield screen. Wonder if that stuff would work too. Where did you find the stuff you used at? Also I notice your front grill. Nice.

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
603 Posts
Is the primary function noise suppression or protection of the metalwork from heat after the car stops? We 9000 owners know what can happen to the front of the valve cover above the turbocharger. But there are painted areas in the engine bay which don't seem to suffer, although the heat would primarily convect rather than radiate. I've often thought of the adhesive foam/foil method for the 9-5 whose lining is sagging (rather keep the 9000 original as possible).
I did mine because i was tired of that saggy blanket hanging down on top of the motor blocking off airflow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. It looks good. Bonus points for having the Saab flag on the wall as well.
Funny story about the flag… My neighbor happen to see me out working on this NG 900 and brought the flag over to me. He is not even a Saab guy- just has tons of auto memorabilia in his basement and said I would appreciate it much than him. Best neighbor ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts