SaabCentral Forums banner

Honest Thoughts on Handling/Performance

2K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Speeding Aero 
#1 ·
I've been nuts about cars since I was 8 years old. Now I'm 61. I've owned nearly 100 cars during that period of time. While looking through the road tests on several new cars in this months "batch" of periodicals, as I have for years, something occured to me that had escaped my notice until now.

While reading two different reviews on the '08 Cadillac CTS, I noted the criticisms leveled against the car. Everyone seems to like it, but it fails to satisfy many of the writers, especially when compared to the "revered" BMW 3 Series (who knew...?).

Then I took the time to read several more reviews of new cars, noticing the great pics of them sliding through the turns, raising dust in the twisties, etc. Then I thought, nearly aloud...who the hell drives like that!

I drive my cars nearly 100 miles per day. 95% of my driving is Expressway or secondary highway driving. When I lived in the city, I drove about 75% streets/25% Highway. I know it's not my age, but my driving requirements that dictate my driving style....and therefore, the cars I buy.

Having said all that, I must first of all admit that I'm an idiot. I get these magazines all the time. Secondly, I think I'm in very good company. Thirdly, who honestly drives like to people who throw their cars into drifts with any regularity. How about some automotive reviews based on the reality of most car guys like, how cool do I look in this? Or, how great is it to put on some tunes and cruise the Freeway in this?

I'm old, not dead, but I also have friends and aquaintances who are car guys, and very, very few of them ever beat their street cars down...the ones who are serious drivers usually have dedicated equipment to thrash...What are your thoughts? Zebulon

See less See more
#2 ·
Zebulon said:
I've been nuts about cars since I was 8 years old. Now I'm 61. I've owned nearly 100 cars during that period of time. While looking through the road tests on several new cars in this months "batch" of periodicals, as I have for years, something occured to me that had escaped my notice until now.

While reading two different reviews on the '08 Cadillac CTS, I noted the criticisms leveled against the car. Everyone seems to like it, but it fails to satisfy many of the writers, especially when compared to the "revered" BMW 3 Series (who knew...?).

Then I took the time to read several more reviews of new cars, noticing the great pics of them sliding through the turns, raising dust in the twisties, etc. Then I thought, nearly aloud...who the hell drives like that!

I drive my cars nearly 100 miles per day. 95% of my driving is Expressway or secondary highway driving. When I lived in the city, I drove about 75% streets/25% Highway. I know it's not my age, but my driving requirements that dictate my driving style....and therefore, the cars I buy.

Having said all that, I must first of all admit that I'm an idiot. I get these magazines all the time. Secondly, I think I'm in very good company. Thirdly, who honestly drives like to people who throw their cars into drifts with any regularity. How about some automotive reviews based on the reality of most car guys like, how cool do I look in this? Or, how great is it to put on some tunes and cruise the Freeway in this?

I'm old, not dead, but I also have friends and aquaintances who are car guys, and very, very few of them ever beat their street cars down...the ones who are serious drivers usually have dedicated equipment to thrash...What are your thoughts? Zebulon
I'm young and probably one of the more aggressive drivers on these boards, but even I didn't slide everywhere when I had RWD. It's just too dangerous, it's too easy to over step the mark between fun and telephone pole. Having a 9-5 has probably transitioned me to a more mature driving style as the novelty of going everywhere with your foot to the floor wears off when your car will keep accelerating to 150 and does 40 to 80 in 4 seconds.

#4 ·
Its ok for testers to thrash the balls off a car because they hand it back at the end of the day. Question is would you treat you car like they do? The answer is almost certainly no. :x

I'm a pretty sedate driver, but i do like to give the peddle some welly when conditions are favourable (or when some jerk tries to push in because he's in more of a rush than myself). I'm not gonna try to drift round corners whilst driving to work, or put plastic trays under the rear wheels in a shopping mall car park for that matter. :nono;

#5 ·
Zebulon, I think you have summed it up very well. As long as a car gets you from A to B and does all the things that you want it to (everyone has different requirements) then the car is good.

The test pilots as Kermit rightly says thrash the hell out of the cars - if they break it they dont pay for it, where as I would have too!

life is getting more and more expensive each day - I just thank my lucky stars that i have a 'nice, fast and new to me' car because I work hard for what i have and go without certain things to have a car like this. That is why i NEVER pay attention to reviews - makes good fun reading, but i never take anything as gospel. :cheesy:

#6 ·
MIKE AERO HOT said:
The test pilots as Kermit rightly says thrash the hell out of the cars - if they break it they dont pay for it, where as I would have too!:cheesy:
Kermit will testify to someone doing this to another forum members car at a Saab meet....................:evil:

#8 ·
MIKE AERO HOT said:
To the Godfather????
Nope it was Xtreme that got the treatment :roll:

#10 ·
My wife drives mine (Godfather) :cheesy:

Scares her silly :p

#14 ·
The thing you'll notice about BMW's is that the auto mags will say that the _ Series is the best car in its class hands down.
They'll then mention about how things like build quality and reliability aren't up to par with Lexus, or how Honda and Acura have better shifting transmissions, or how it has considerably less power than its Infiniti or Cadillac competitors.

The badge on the hood is the only thing they base their reviews on.

Oh, and mine is scared of the Aero. She's uncomfortable with stick shift cars already, then add in the power, the torque steer, the speed, and the boost that comes on like a light awitch. She loves the seats, though.:lol:

#15 ·
I am sure it doesn't take 450hp to get me the 2miles home but it is certainly fun to get it out and open it up every once in a while..

#20 ·
Cliche` said:
The thing you'll notice about BMW's is that the auto mags will say that the _ Series is the best car in its class hands down.
They'll then mention about how things like build quality and reliability aren't up to par with Lexus, or how Honda and Acura have better shifting transmissions, or how it has considerably less power than its Infiniti or Cadillac competitors.

The badge on the hood is the only thing they base their reviews on.

Oh, and mine is scared of the Aero. She's uncomfortable with stick shift cars already, then add in the power, the torque steer, the speed, and the boost that comes on like a light awitch. She loves the seats, though.:lol:
It's all about the complete package, acuras have the best shifters in the industry, but are saddled with poor FWD dynamics. Audi's have the best interiors hands-down, but they are heavy and understeer like pigs. The Lexus and Cadillac products might be a bit faster in a straight line or make more power, but they are heavier and don't handle as well as the BMW. BMW's have the best combination of speed, luxury, build quality, and most importantly handling and chassis dynamics, and that's why they always win comparison tests.

The thing to remember with car magazines is that they drive the cars under normal conditions too, but if you wanted to see pictures of the cars doing that you'd be reading consumer reports. The drifting, etc makes for much better pictures than the slow, day-to-day stuff does.

Personally, seeing the new CTS I don't think it's in the same category as the 9-3, A4, or 3-series, and comparing it to those cars would be unfair. It's a straight-line cruiser with sporting pretensions, like the lexus IS, the C-class, or the acura TL. Now of those cars it has the best interior and the best looks, and it's a big deal because this is the first time an american car has been equal to the japanese or the germans, just know that it's not a sports sedan. I just hope they throw the LS7 into the next-gen CTS-V, now THAT would be a real sports sedan.

#22 ·
So aside from being expensive, and unreliable, and about as ergonomic as a broken toaster from 1973, aaaand their inability to build their own transmissions(They've been using GM automatic transmissions for a LOONG time), the fact that they make horribly underbuilt and underpowered engines, LEATHERETTE seats in a $40,000 car, build quality on par with Hyundai, and handling that, frankly, isn't THAT great, they're alright.

#23 ·
socrazy2992 said:
the only negative thing about BMW's is the price to repair them and on top that going to the dealer to get whatever fixed. even the older models its pretty rediculous. other then that classy, sporty, rolex on wheels
Hmm, I dont like Rolex either :x

#25 ·
socrazy2992 said:
the only negative thing about BMW's is the price to repair them and on top that going to the dealer to get whatever fixed. even the older models its pretty rediculous. other then that classy, sporty, rolex on wheels
umm... owning BOTH a 2004 e60 5er, and a 1999 9-5, i can assure you that the saab has cost me more to repair than the bimmer. That being said, while i certainly enjoy that turbo saab on the highway, nothing beats the bimmers combination of smooth ride, excellent brakes, better handling, better build quality/materials, silky smooth inline six, and as much as i hate to say it- that ability to turn heads makes it an overall better car(to me) I do love my SAAB, but Im a BMW fanatic at heart(if i had the money I'd be in an 08 M5)

just my .02
tyler

#26 ·
Cliche` said:
So aside from being expensive, and unreliable, and about as ergonomic as a broken toaster from 1973, aaaand their inability to build their own transmissions(They've been using GM automatic transmissions for a LOONG time), the fact that they make horribly underbuilt and underpowered engines, LEATHERETTE seats in a $40,000 car, build quality on par with Hyundai, and handling that, frankly, isn't THAT great, they're alright.
hahahahhahaha "they're alright"... i love haters....so i guess that new magnesium/aluminium block twin turbo 335 is underbuilt/underpowered Or that F1 derived M5s V10 (without the governor) cant propel the car to 202 mph?(With 4 friends) ummm seriously wtf dont get me wrong i LOVE my saab but i really love my bimmer and i think its really amusing when people try to diss bmw.... call me when you're rolling in a Maybach 62 and maybe i'll listen. oh and "build quality on par with hyundai".... where does that put our saabs??? kia?? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.