SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of you that have used the Honda manual transmission fluid. So I went to the dealer today and he said that the Honda oil is just 5w30 with additives and it smells like gear oil. Is this the stuff that you guy's are talking about? I have used 10w30 before and I have had Saabs that had gear oil, What is the best? I have a 1989 900 SPG,

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Honda did use engine oil in the transmissions for a long time, apparently, just like Saab. But at some point (don't know when) they moved over to dedicated transmission oil. The part number I've heard before is Honda MTF GUL2622. Could be different in the US. The Rover gearbox oil is said to be exactly the same, part number GUL1122, and cheaper too, but I would imagine that'll be hard to find as well now. I use engine oil in mine - which is what someone who rebuilds Saab gearboxes for a living filled it with.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Saab filled the gearboxes with a standard gear oil. However for topping up only, 10w30 oil was considered sufficient.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so if the honda stuff is so good and it is 5w30 what should I be using? The manual says 10w30 is 10w40 ok? what are the opions? Regular 10w30 does not have the additives that the honda stuff has, like I said before, it even smells like gear oil.
This is my 6th Saab and I have alway used 10w30, but if there is somthing better, bring it on, I only want the best thing that I should be putting in this car. Thanks again, your a great bunch of guy's!
Dennis

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
honda makes only one MTF and with my experience it has done absolute wonders. tho i must tell people: today i found out my gearbox is getting terminal, my car went in for a new rack and clutch and the saab guy took a gear oil sample and found lots of metal, reverse pops, and 5th whines. when i first got the car i changed it to honda mtf, when we drained the really dirty tranny oil, we found just one small chunk of metal. that was in january, the tranny didn't wine then, so i donnu:confused: after i somehow get the funds to get my tranny rebuilt i will splurge and get the saab gear oil i think, and do changes every 6 months.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Honda MTF is THE oil to use.. has proven it's worth in hundreds of Saabs.
Better and significantly cheaper than Redline.
But it's not magic, a dying box will still Die .. it will just shift better until it does die :)

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Just a thought but why cant you just use Mobile 1 engine oil in the gear box?

What sort of mileage are you'll putting in the gear box before you change the oil?

·
Banned
637 Posts
There have been several failures attributed to the use of Synthetic lubes in the Older saab boxes..General belief is that it's not suitable.
May be true, may not.. you wanna risk it ? :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Honda service guy said that the synthetic oils are not suitable. The oil can't cling to the parts correctly and don't make it to all the part that needs the oil. This is like the little test thing that you see in a parts store on the counter for Lucas oils. It is made up of a set of gears and you tune them and the oil that is in the bottom gear will clime all the way up to the top gear with the good oil. The other oil never gets enough oil to the top

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Matthew said:
Are you sure that Saab didn't fill the gearboxes with engine oil? I've just bought a load of 10w40 engine oil to change the undoubtedly original stuff on my 8v's gearbox :eek:
Yeah... I'll send you the Saab info once (if?) I ever get my alldata discs back... :( As far as I recall it was 3 litres EP75 GL4 or GL5.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Basre said:
There have been several failures attributed to the use of Synthetic lubes in the Older saab boxes..General belief is that it's not suitable.
May be true, may not.. you wanna risk it ? :)
No sir i sure dont!

My local Honda dealer wont sell me there gear box oil, he said it may damaged my gear box and he didnt want to be responsible for that:roll: so now am just going to by something from Helfrauds, shame too.

Dont Slick 50 make a gear box oil? or some kind of additive?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Errrr.. Suggest you find another Honda Dealer, Seriously.. that one is being V strange.
Honda MTF is non synthetic.. reputedly.. the identical product is used in their Moto Gearboxes as well.
The trick is to NOT use a Synthetic in the c900 OR Honda boxes.
Slick 50 is only usefull in lightening wallets IMHO.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
My local Honda dealer wont sell me there gear box oil, he said it may damaged my gear box and he didnt want to be responsible for that:roll: so now am just going to by something from Helfrauds, shame too.
You can buy Honda MTF from Partco outlets - see Jezzadee's first post in this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts