SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been replacing the turbo on a 2001 9-5 UK with a 2 Litre Auto.

Been photographing and cataloguing things as I go along if anyone would like me to post them for reference ;ol;

Anyway, as I took it apart, the intercooler seemed to be FULL of oil, tried my best to drain that off though there will no doubt still be some kicking about in it.

Put it back together and one of the plugs on the oil feed to the turbo have come loose so was chucking out oil (now tightened but still leaking, got a new gasket for it from motor spares).

Had an initial overheat and major surging when I put it back together so took it apart and YUP, choked up with oil in the pipes again so left one off and gave it a quick 20 second boot which threw a load out.

Now its running smooth, and cool, pinking a little bit (more then likely the oil) but the moment I boot it the smoke comes thick and fast again :cry:

Going to take the air pipes off again see if more oil drops out and check to make sure the heat/oil problem didn't kill off the new turbo too while I am at it.

Any further suggestions while I am here?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
did you prime the turbo before fully starting the car? what I mean is did you prime it to get oil flowing into the turbo as to not ruin the bearings.

theres a number of ways to do it, but when I did mine I disconnected the DI, pulled the fuel pump fuse, and cranked the car for 10 seconds at a time for four times...it can be less and you can check for oil flow by having the oil return disconnected and watch for oil coming out the turbo. Mine took longer for some reason but it started flowing right as I cranked it the fourth time.

If you really want to get all the oil out of the intercooler you can pull it out and flush it with simple green or any degreaser. Or if you have an air compressor you can try blowing it all out

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
did you prime the turbo before fully starting the car? what I mean is did you prime it to get oil flowing into the turbo as to not ruin the bearings.

theres a number of ways to do it, but when I did mine I disconnected the DI, pulled the fuel pump fuse, and cranked the car for 10 seconds at a time for four times...it can be less and you can check for oil flow by having the oil return disconnected and watch for oil coming out the turbo. Mine took longer for some reason but it started flowing right as I cranked it the fourth time.
Def gotta prime the turbo... I did the same when I swapped in my 18t. Pull DI and fuel pump fuse and crank it over a bunch of times to build oil pressure. I must've cranked mine 6 or 7 times just to be safe.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If you have a lot of oil in the intercooler, you probably had a lot of oil in the exhaust too. That's going to have to burn off before the smoke stops.

I took mine out for a ride on the highway at night when not a lot of people were around since it was a serious mosquito fogger for about 15 minutes.

Once the oil burned out of the exhaust all was good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I slipped oil in to the turbo before tightening up, with a syringe, and it took a lot of turning over to get started again so hopefully OK.

Just know the pool of oil and the gasket/o ring going gave me a scare when it leaked.

Working fine now though despite it all, smooth tick over and no struggling to start at all and sat with it ticking over waiting for any oil in the air system to burn off (starts smoking after 10+ minutes from exhaust when engine is warm).

Would love to take it out for a blast ,, but it was literally given to me (free saab, high spec, cant complain), and its neither taxed, insured or MOT'ed (which ran out yesterday) and the traffic police have been hanging around for the past month.

Local police would let me off (rural community, every one knows every one),,, City police?? not a chance :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts