SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out. I've had my trusty 900 turbo a little over a year now. I've put about 20k on it. I finally decided to get an alignment check at a saab recommended place and they notified me that my strut tower has collapsed and it would need to go to a frame shop to get repaired or rebuilt. The car can not be aligned.
Other than some slight symptoms, the car drives great. The tire on the bad side wears a little different than the others. I don't see any visial indications that things look out of whack (I wasn't present when they inspected it).
I'm not sure what it would take to correct this, and since I got the car for less than $1500.00, I wonder if I should bother investigating further into this as far as saftey goes?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bad. Let's pretend I said "shocks." The mechanism that attaches the suspension to the upper wheel well area.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Meh, it happens. If a moron was installing shocks and scratched the crap out of the shock tower then the protective finish is no longer.

In my 89' 900 T16 I had my drivers side shock tower replaced due to rust (it pushed thru). Plus the bushing was depleted which concentrates more force over less surface area which = fatigued metal that is ready to break.

The passenger side one is MUCH less work, you don't have to remove all the hydraulics for welding. Mine was $360CND, most of that labour was removing and refitting hydraulics. Acess to the passenger side is easy, ths is the most simple repair for a welder, everything after is hidden under a thick coat of undercoating and you will not even be able to tell.

Get a shock tower cut out of a wrecked car for like $50 and get any half decent welder to put it in. There is not a HUGE deal to get it exact, a shock that is a little off will not make much of a difference; however, allignment of say A-arm mounts is another story.

I have had 3 structural rust repair jobs completed on 900s. They are the most scary repairs (at first); however, welding is like an Art and the Artists find welding these cars very easy for the most part. Don't worry about it, I bet you can get this sorted for south of $200 if you do some homework.;)

Keep us posted. You can still drive the car; however, you must be very careful as you could bounce right off the road. Avoid speed and hard turns...well and of course bumps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts