SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First one in North America that I know of with a large frame turbo. 24PSI on a Holset HY35 made 488WHP and 467WTQ with STD factoring on the factory engine!! ;ol;

Big thanks to John Williams and Para Pat. John and I have been working on dialing this guy in for the last two months now. A lot of firsts on this car with both hardware and tuning that I can only hope will help bring some life into this platform.

Graph without correction factoring

Compared to a 19T running John's Stage 5 + E85

There is still a whole lot more room to grow on this turbo too! :cheesy:

EDIT!!! - Video!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget to tell the nice people about not getting on the dyno until 4500rpm... Don't want them to think it spools late
He didnt put the pedal to the floor till 3400-3800...less risk of throwing a rod that way. That is how I have been driving the car as well. This turbo is a GREAT fit for this engine size.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not to be a downer, but why would you have a higher chance of throwing a rod if you got on it before 3400 rpms? Doesn't sound very promising when you put it like that.

On the up and up though, this dyno graph is one of the smoothest I've seen in terms of making power up until redline. The 2.8 usually only likes to make low end power (not that that is a bad thing). Although, (here I am being a downer again) maybe not getting on it till after 3400 is why it looks that way.

Would really like to see what kind of low end power it makes. As that is what the 2.8 has always been great at.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not to be a downer, but why would you have a higher chance of throwing a rod if you got on it before 3400 rpms? Doesn't sound very promising when you put it like that.

On the up and up though, this dyno graph is one of the smoothest I've seen in terms of making power up until redline. The 2.8 usually only likes to make low end power (not that that is a bad thing).

Would really like to see what kind of low end power it makes.
More boost at lower rpm puts incredible stress on the rods. We dont know where the limit of the stock engine is. Once I have a built motor ready to drop in, then I will crank it up and find the limit.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Alright, now that i DO like the sound of. I hope the stock engine surprises us and handles the power when you put it to the test. If not, at least we know not to attempt it unless properly built.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, now that i DO like the sound of. I hope the stock engine surprises us and handles the power when you put it to the test. If not, at least we know not to attempt it unless properly built.
It has certainly surprised me so far with the abuse I have put it through...

·
Registered
34 Posts
nice work ;ol;

congratulations :D

i would love to drive the setup in my vectra :cheesy:

interesting to see where the limit of the stock engine is.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is there any way to limit the boost by RPM in the ECU?

Is anyone planning to put a Holset in a XWD? :D
The factory tune limits boost by limiting torque demand in the first few gears, so I'm sure you could modify it to limit torque demand and be easy on the engine at lower RPMs.

As for the Holset in a XWD. I certainly wouldn't mind having close to 500 hp in my TX...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The factory tune limits boost by limiting torque demand in the first few gears, so I'm sure you could modify it to limit torque demand and be easy on the engine at lower RPMs.

As for the Holset in a XWD. I certainly wouldn't mind having close to 500 hp in my TX...
You could do that...but why would you want to? Learning pedal control and not just smashing the throttle down makes you a better driver. It also lets you get to know the real animal under the hood. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Holy crap batman....
Damn this make born from jets a reality...

I work as a senior aerospace manufacturing engineer and the stuff that you guys have done is very impressive indeed!

Next challenge is finding the limits with a built engine w/forged internals etc.

I would really like to see this in person - I'm in CT.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You could do that...but why would you want to? Learning pedal control and not just smashing the throttle down makes you a better driver. It also lets you get to know the real animal under the hood. :)
To protect the engine. If the engine proves to be not up to the task of handling the power, it would be a great thing to do. Not as easy to judge the breaking point of the engine by using throttle control. Now if the engine is able to handle the power, then I agree, there is no point to doing it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i get that the exhaust is keeping this as sort of a "sleeper" on the road, but i want to hear the v6 SCREAM! throw a tuned full 3" exhaust on there with something that going to let that beast roar. ;ol;

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i get that the exhaust is keeping this as sort of a "sleeper" on the road, but i want to hear the v6 SCREAM! throw a tuned full 3" exhaust on there with something that going to let that beast roar. ;ol;
That's not my thing. I like how the car is a sleeper. It sounds and drives like a normal aero but as soon as you step on it -it makes a tire shredding amount of power and all you hear is the holset screaming.

·
Registered
622 Posts
That's not my thing. I like how the car is a sleeper. It sounds and drives like a normal aero but as soon as you step on it -it makes a tire shredding amount of power and all you hear is the holset screaming.
it doesn't necessarily have to be loud to be more aggressive sounding. with the right res/muffler combo, you can lose some of the restriction, get a deeper and more aggressive tone, but keep the noise levels down to something that you can hear when going WOT, but otherwise is just a hair louder than stock that gives a nice compliment to the car itself.

just my opinion. i can totally respect what you choose to do with your car. i do think it would be nice to hear a bit of growl with some of that lovely sound from the holset whistling out the back.

i know it's a different setup/beast, but this is my old 2.8 N/A Passat w/ a 2.5" custom catback setup. i had a magnaflow glasspack in place of the oem res, a smaller 12" vibrant res futher back from that, and a borla muffler. it did a great job of fighting off drone and giving the car a good soundtrack that didn't wake up the block/neighbors. something like this + a bit of turbo whistle would put a big smile on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQrkXx4rE9k&list=UUIaUC9TMPXWj9Tebpx7XJ-Q

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.