SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hope someone can help or put me out my misery i got a ecu upgrade from elk and it has blown a hole in my block can you weld the block and repair the con-rod or is it another block job.

This is the second 2.3 turbo block that has let me down and i think it was only putting out about 300 bhp or just under, why are they so weak.

the first one that went was the big ends that got oil starved and i have been told this can not be fixed on this engine, want my aero back on the road without being held to ransom by second hand engine prices.......

I am lucky enough to have another aero to drive at the moment but am very scared to upgrade the power on this too, thinking of going Jap to get reliability and power i know that’s not nice but I am sick of Saab at the moment.

It’s a sad Saab day

Someone help please
:(

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Engine blow-ups are very rare on 2.3l B234R engines, sorry that you have had such bad luck.

My first question would be what was the condition of the engine when you bought the car, as any lack of proper maint. and use of fully synthetic oil could explain this. There are a lot of tuned Aeros out there, and most of them only have clutch/gearbox problems.

Take a look at the failure rates of say tuned Supra engines, Saabs are normally a very tough engine that is hard to break, many other tuned engines have very poor failure rates.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
this has nothing to do with engine power and every thing to do with poor crank ventalation design on the small block engine (94>) so the oil pick up cloggs up and starves the engine of oil

·
Registered
593 Posts
block failure on a b234r ?

Very very rare
this is the first (and second)I have heard of
to have 2 is the worsest luck

gearbox yes
final drive and break the gearbox casing yes
oil strainer clogs and runs the main bearings yes

The block is very very strong and to put a leg out of bed /break a conrod beggars belief
I am running 400 + on an engine that has done 240,000 miles
origonal conrods,pistons, block
I rebuilt the engine @ 200k and all it needed was piston rings
I know of many others running 300 + on 100,000 engines with no problem

could there be another reason ?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Something doesn't add up here, as Ylee states there are plenty of us running high hp engines, mine is 340+hp/447lb.ft torque on 205000 miles with nothing done internally. As Boxman states the lubrication system if badly maintained will lead to sump filter blackages and run the bearings, also the balance shaft sprocket can strip the teeth and if not noticed, will, over a period of time put lots of fine metal thru the system. This happened to me on my first 2.3.

What boost are you running? Is the ecu the only mod?
How often are your oil and filter changes and do you do them yourself?
Garages never check the old oil for any metal particles which can give you a clearer picture of potential wearing problems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for everyone getting back to me so soon

the oil is mobil 1 and is changed by myself between 3 and 6 months always with new oil filter from saab.

the mods were not too bad abbot intake pipe,bigger intercooler from abbot, dump valve from abbot, 3 in stainless exhaust, induction system from elk, and stage 3 from elk.

boost was running 1.5 bar on elk boost gauge told this was normal

now i am too scared to blow the engine in my other 9000 aero, its too good a car for that and since finding another 2.3 block is hard (if you dont wont to pay stupid money) for a second hand engine with no real guarantee.

got lots of spares but no block for the 1994-1998 type.... usual

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no the 1990 blocks are different, just my luck as i have a 1993 9000 cs 2.3 turbo engine that is in great condition thinking about selling my other aero to fix my broken one or get a subaru impreza estate for work...... dont know what too do very sad lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts