SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a brilliant technique I saw in a video... got to try it at the u-pull the other day. As my UK friends might say "works a treat".

Just clamp your vise-grips (mole-grips) to the strut. All done.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Yup! I keep a ragged old pair in the back of the Suburban as I've been pushing those struts for WAY too long, and they're gonna fail entirely at the wrong moment.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Yup! I keep a ragged old pair in the back of the Suburban as I've been pushing those struts for WAY too long, and they're gonna fail entirely at the wrong moment.
The simple things in life , often the BEST ! ( raggity old pair now thrown in wreckers specific toolbox )

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very common practice. The commercial version is inexpensive and doesn't chew up the shaft, but the seal is dead already. Most of us have vise grips already...and, they're much easier to carry than a prop rod.

·
Registered
17,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if they were really English they would say "it's the dogs ****"
Is that a good thing?

Very common practice. The commercial version is inexpensive and doesn't chew up the shaft, but the seal is dead already. Most of us have vise grips already...and, they're much easier to carry than a prop rod.
I actually have a custom pair of vise-grips made to hold round rods (no teeth)... but at the junkyard, I'm going with this. And, as you mentioned, if the strut is dead, it doesn't really matter, even on your own car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bob - I'll just like to draw a comparison linkage between your avatar 'Bender' and his favourite task of 'clamping metal' that you've highlighted for all of us. I'm sure your happy to do the other main trait Bender has (drinking beer) equally as well (in moderation arround saabs of course). :)

·
Registered
17,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob - I'll just like to draw a comparison linkage between your avatar 'Bender' and his favourite task of 'clamping metal' that you've highlighted for all of us. I'm sure your happy to do the other main trait Bender has (drinking beer) equally as well (in moderation arround saabs of course). :)
Hey, hey, and I get to tell people to kiss my shiny metal azz!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts