SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have anopen air filter just sitting in the garage. When I saw this I thought to myself "HMM more air but it's hot air" Then I thought "Turbos draw in a lot of hot air but it goes through the intercooler which cools it down" Then I came up with an idea but I want some opinions before I go through with this. I was thinking of using the open air filter to draw in more air but thats going to be hot air so I was going to try and scavenge a cheap saab 9000 intercooler for anywhere and run an intercooler set up. Due to the emense path the air has to undergo I thought to myself once again "What should I use to force the air in and go through such a long journey just to get to the engine?" I asked my cousin and he suggested I go on ebay and order one of those electric superchargers (WHILE BACK I WAS THINKING OF GETTING ONE) ever since he suggested that I have been wondering if I should go through with this intercooler set up I just want a couple of 2nd opinions

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
mate forget the intercooler, turbo engine force air thro' but you will be relying on the engine sucking air thro' you could fit the open air filter under the wing where the stock filter fits and just extend the pie from the throttle to reach the filter

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you think about what the turbo compressor is doing, it creates a pressure differencial between the inlet & the outlet

Now you want a given pressure in the outlet & the compressor has to work to produce this, the more it works the more heat it produces.
So the more restrictions you create on the inlet path, the harder the compressor has to work to produce the desired outlet pressure & hence the more heat
So you go and built a nice inlet circuit that cools down the inlet air, but introduces more back pressure, then the compressor has to over come this & by doing so heats it back up again

Better to focus on building a really nice smooth inlet pipe, with long tapered reducers and shallow bends if any, as said, stick the airfilter into the wing as per std & seal off the entry to the engine bay to keep the ambient heat away from it

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I really dont think an open air filter will make a difference with a non-turbo car, and no cool noise either.

If a turbo works fine with a stock airbox, im sure a N/A would be just peachy keen with it

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
if your non turbo engine has to suck air thro' an intercooler it will have more resistance than sucking thro' your stock air filter, there for you will have no benifit from doing what you suggest, if you want better air flow to your engine place your open air filter in the wing so i pulls ambiant air and leave it at that, those electric turbo chargers are probably a waist of time too

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
sorry didn,t realise your were non turbo

Normal aspirated -as previously said - smooth easy inlet from a cold air source.
pop out your fog lamp to give it a bit more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts