SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at different performance options, and one of these came to mind.

The HKS Electronic Valve Controller forms a similar function to the Saab APC, and seems more flexible offering a base type low boost or a full on high boost.

Since A HKS EVC 4 can be obtained for about the cost of a FPT ecu, and the FPT ecu runs the similar solenoid setup, would it be beneficial to just stick with my stock ecu and run the EVC?

I understand that I won't be able to get ridiculus power figures from either method, but an upgrade from the low pressure turbo would be great (I have tasted the full pressure boost, unfortunately it was an OBD-I ecu, I have an OBD-II car)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
until you get a fpt ecu your gonna hit fuel cut at about 11 psi anyway, so maybe look into a tuned ecu instead?

that way you keep factory protection and get nice power.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you get an electronic boost controller you will have all the functions of the upgraded ECU except one - safety. The system won't be able to reduce the boost if you start getting knocking.

However, if you plan to run low levels if boost, around 10 psi, then you won't get knocking, but if you want to go higher I would stick to the upgraded ECU.

Klim

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I got the HKS EVC fitted on mine, but I also have an Abbott ECU upgrade, consisting of BOTH the fuel chip which takes OFF the fuel cut function, and also the DI chip too. They were 360 UKP together. The HKS EVC cost me 320 UKP. I have a max boost of 1.41 BAR/20.45 psi. I have it set at 1.32 BAR tho as max boost, but I hardly ever get up to that figure now, there isn't really anytime for me to justify using it.

Most of the time, I am lucky to give it welly to get to 1 BAR never mind 1.3. But the HKS DOES look cool tho.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was actually in one of your posts that I learned about the EVC. I think for now I'm going to stick to a FPT ecu, especially since I'm still at the "poor college student" level. However, there is always the possibility of upgrading in the future :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts