SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

thinking of buying a HKS SSQV BOV, just wondering what i need to know during the installation, and about setting the BOV to proper pressure?

should i go to the dealership and get them to set this up for me? or can it be done at home without the worry of destroying my turbo?

if relevant, im driving a 2003 linear 9-3 ... and plans also are incorporating the BSR Stage 3 PPC, downpipe back exhaust, intake system, and high flow injectors ... will this affect the BOV pressure setting?

*new to performance tuning, all information is greatly appreciated*

thank you

Radek

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
R4D3K said:
HKS makes a BOV for the 9-3 linear 2003
K&N also makes an intake kit for the 93 which doesn't work. These facts don't stop either company from selling you the products.

BOV's cause CEL's in these cars. I don't think anyone has ever posted the DTC's. Chances are it's a misfire code caused by the temporary rich condition. There have been many threads on this topic over the years. We've pretty much come to the conclusion that the stock compressor bypass valve is best for this car. The trionic 8 engine management is far more particular and sensitive than any prior system.

There are a few members here who claim to know people who have BOV's successfully installed in the newer 93's. All in Singapore, I believe. By "few" I mean one or two. And, again, these are members that "know people," not anyone who ACTUALLY has one installed. Since we have had some relatively enthusiastic and knowledgeable members try to get BOV's working and fail, I don't give much credence to these claims. ECM parameters probably differ by market. At least that much I do believe.

In the early days (2003-2004) we had some photos of BOV installations. Very rare, but we had some. These guys all disappeared. So I supect they started getting CEL's like all the rest, but were not willing to come back here and 'fess up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys ... well i'd like to thank you VERY much , 1. for me not wasting 300 bucks on a BOV that i'd throw out and 2 for me not wrecking my engine!

any thoughts about the BSR mods? especially the PPC upgrade?

·
Banned
631 Posts
BSR PPC would be your first.

If you have money go directly to stage 3.

And thats pretty much it. Car would be quick as stink.

I cant wait to get mine :) ive been posponed on purchase but defintaly in the near future :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
hks actually sells a recirculation line for the hks ssqv. its just a small pipe coming out the end of the valve so you can connect your piping to recirculate, so technically its not a bov anymore as its being recirculated. if you got that accesory you could run the hks ssqv but it really isnt worth it in my opinion. i wouldnt bother upgrading your stock bpv unless that stock one is failing. at that time i would look into forge or hyperboost valves.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If it's sound you're after with a BOV, then an open air intake like the the BSR Optiflow will make the stock BPV and turbo much louder. As you've probably worked out by now, the only way to fool with boost pressure is with a PPC or the like.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ctrlz said:
K&N also makes an intake kit for the 93 which doesn't work. These facts don't stop either company from selling you the products.

BOV's cause CEL's in these cars. I don't think anyone has ever posted the DTC's. Chances are it's a misfire code caused by the temporary rich condition. There have been many threads on this topic over the years. We've pretty much come to the conclusion that the stock compressor bypass valve is best for this car. The trionic 8 engine management is far more particular and sensitive than any prior system.

There are a few members here who claim to know people who have BOV's successfully installed in the newer 93's. All in Singapore, I believe. By "few" I mean one or two. And, again, these are members that "know people," not anyone who ACTUALLY has one installed. Since we have had some relatively enthusiastic and knowledgeable members try to get BOV's working and fail, I don't give much credence to these claims. ECM parameters probably differ by market. At least that much I do believe.

In the early days (2003-2004) we had some photos of BOV installations. Very rare, but we had some. These guys all disappeared. So I supect they started getting CEL's like all the rest, but were not willing to come back here and 'fess up.
me.. me... I got the BOV installed..... haha

Seriously, if your car is from the States, I don't recommending you to try it out. its been proven more than 10+ times that BOVs dont' work on US cars.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Dach said:
me.. me... I got the BOV installed..... haha
The "official" count is now up to... 1!
You should really post some photos and a description of what you did, even if it was just following the instructions that came with the valve. You can e-mail me photos without having to shrink and compress them.

What can you tell me about Asia's emissions regulations? I wonder how the ECM's or other equipment could be different in such a way that Asia is the only market that will allow a BOV to run. I don't doubt the car still runs rich, but why doesn't it throw a code?

·
Registered
943 Posts
ctrlz said:
The "official" count is now up to... 1!
You should really post some photos and a description of what you did, even if it was just following the instructions that came with the valve. You can e-mail me photos without having to shrink and compress them.

What can you tell me about Asia's emissions regulations? I wonder how the ECM's or other equipment could be different in such a way that Asia is the only market that will allow a BOV to run. I don't doubt the car still runs rich, but why doesn't it throw a code?
how do I email you the pics?

As far as I know, US has to the toughest and tightest emssions control in the world. I think that EU cars also don't get much trouble with the BOV.

Before I installed mine, I kinda freaked out reading over here that it doesn't work. till I saw the rest of my pals doing it. the only one with some trouble was one using a Forge BOV, and he was running a bit of a high boost. the spring was tougher and maybe wasn't sequential like the SSQV I am using.

It does run rich, but doesn't seem to give any limp modes or throw codes.

I can show you the post install pics, but I don't have the one with the block off plate installed cause I wasn't at the workshop when it got fitted in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who has posted and given me their advice

better to ask the experienced than screw up my car

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a really basic question, but something that is just confusing me ... when i look under my dad's viggen, it is clear to see a big intercooler ... but when i look in the grill of my Linear, it seems like there is only a Radiator ... do the linears run an intercooler? i've heard of some low press turbo's not running intercoolers? but thats just the thing i "heard" it

the other reason i ask this is because i cannot find any upgrade intercoolers for the linear

thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
R4D3K said:
here's a really basic question, but something that is just confusing me ... when i look under my dad's viggen, it is clear to see a big intercooler ... but when i look in the grill of my Linear, it seems like there is only a Radiator ... do the linears run an intercooler? i've heard of some low press turbo's not running intercoolers? but thats just the thing i "heard" it

the other reason i ask this is because i cannot find any upgrade intercoolers for the linear

thanks!
Yes all the 9-3SS's have an intercooler. Here's the thread for you...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109389&page=2&pp=20

If you go to post #32 there are pics of the layout. Post #35 has a link to an aftermarket IC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow... that is pretty pimp i must say ... good project to grab my dad for in the summer months!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Oh yes, for those who got the HKS to work, a tech II would indicate some sort of error for the BPV, which is correct and accurate. but (in my area) it doesn't affect the safety and performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts