SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm planning on towing a U-Haul trailer (Probably the small one), for about 2200 miles with my '97 Saab 900. I'd like to get a approved hitch that bolts up to the car with no drilling, etc. which I've heard that are available, just don't know where.. Where can I purchase one of these? How much do they usually run?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
296 Posts
The year 2000 acessories catalog lists a hitch 49-21-995 for the Saab 9-3 models at $390.00 I don't know, if this fits older models as well.

One place that seems to have all the old accessories listed - and at good prices - is http://www.saabpartsonline.com.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year 2000 acessories catalog lists a hitch 49-21-995 for the Saab 9-3 models at $390.00 I don't know, if this fits older models as well.

One place that seems to have all the old accessories listed - and at good prices - is http://www.saabpartsonline.com.

Hope this helps!
Got this from their support:

I apologize, the Saab licensed parts catalog does not list, or provide a hitch for your vehicle.

Best Regards,
SaabPartsOnline.com Support Team
So I guess I have to rely on the community to point me to a hitch that someone knows works. Anyone know?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I welded my own to get under the rear bumper without a cutout (9-3 SE). I think there are a few online, maybe draw-tite has one. should be under $200. You MUST use a powered light adapter, I got mine from uHaul for 40-50 since i couldn't find the original saab one.

edit: a quick google pulled up hitches from both drawtite and curt...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hi there,
I fitted this one and it's superb. I believe it is a genuine article.
I've check their site and it appears they are out of stock, but perhaps a call will confirm.
all the best
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/saab-subcategory.asp
I got the same one from them too. It works great, but it does involve drilling. From memory, it took three holes, all three of them in the spare tire compartment thing. It was really easy. Personally, I don't think you are going to find a decent/capable hitch that doesn't involve drilling. Especially if you are going to tow a U-Haul for that long.

Here is the direct link to it, but they are out of stock. It only costs about 75 bucks.
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/productdetail.asp?ProdId=1650&mcid=2&cid=217&scid=237

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Too bad the listing doesn't show the load rating for the hitch. I can't beleive it's over 1000 lbs though. I think that Uhaul might give you a hard time using that hitch... Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the same one from them too. It works great, but it does involve drilling. From memory, it took three holes, all three of them in the spare tire compartment thing. It was really easy. Personally, I don't think you are going to find a decent/capable hitch that doesn't involve drilling. Especially if you are going to tow a U-Haul for that long.

Here is the direct link to it, but they are out of stock. It only costs about 75 bucks.
http://www.patrickaccessories.com/productdetail.asp?ProdId=1650&mcid=2&cid=217&scid=237
It would be nice to get the load rating on that one. Strange thing is that if I go to the 900 page, the hitch is featured, but when going to the product page, no go. I see the image for it and it looks like hitches when I do a product search on Google. The CURT hitches on that search seem a bit more expensive, but are they rated higher? Looks as if one of them may work out for me?

Also, I'm not afraid to drill some holes so if I have to, so be it. Was just hoping to get by without the drill. :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'm away from home right now, so I cannot check the load rating, but I believe it is a 1,750 lbs trailer (as long as it has brakes) or 900 lbs with out brakes. I'm also pretty sure that the max tounge weight is 150 or 175 lbs (I've stood on it though ;oops:... I forgot about the max, but it did no damage and I weight 205 lbs). When I get back, I'll be sure to check, so if you want to wait till Sunday, you'll have it then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm away from home right now, so I cannot check the load rating, but I believe it is a 1,750 lbs trailer (as long as it has brakes) or 900 lbs with out brakes. I'm also pretty sure that the max tounge weight is 150 or 175 lbs (I've stood on it though ;oops:... I forgot about the max, but it did no damage and I weight 205 lbs). When I get back, I'll be sure to check, so if you want to wait till Sunday, you'll have it then.
That sounds great, I'm not taking the trip until July... I like to be prepared for things.. :lol:

Has anyone looked at that Google Product search to see if those CURT hitches are any good or are good supplement to the one found in at Patrick Accessories?

I'm putting in a support inquiry to Patrick Accessories to see if they are planning to get any in stock soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just took some pictures of the one I fabbed up while my bumper is off. I'll get them posted in a few hours.

It has been on a year now, pulled a 1000#/100tounge trailer a few times a week last summer, and a 2000#/200#tounge about 300 miles also. It is built out of the same thicknesses as the Class III's at Tractor supply, and requires no drilling. It uses bolts into the rear frame rails on both sides.

I personally feel the car is limit, not my hitch.

Pics soon!

·
Registered
321 Posts
And some pics:

If you want to weld it yourself, I can get you the sketches. If you you would be interested in me building one for you, PM me.

Terry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like a heavy duty hitch! From what I can find out there that is compatible with a "97 900" is the ones that you have to drill into the spare tire compartment or use the same mounting holes yours does but are only Class I hitches. I'd like to have a Class II but I can't find anything that anyone is selling, probably because of liability issues that you shouldn't put a beefy hitch on the type of car..

If you want to weld it yourself, I can get you the sketches.
I'd love to take a look at them! I haven't welded in years, but I know of a few people that could help me out and be a nice quick project. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts