SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is the second time it has happened to me. the first time the truck's tire blew right in front of me. of course i was driving a loaner and there was no damage. even after making an effort to never follow trucks, this happens. the person in front of me didn't realize it until they hit it because i didn't see any brake lights until the tire passed under their car (at night). at these speeds, there isn't much you can do. besides, i'd rather hit the tire than lose control of the car or hit another car trying to get out of the way. under most circumstances, i never swerve to miss anything unless i am sure there is nobody beside me. oh well...life goes on. i guess it could have been a lot worse.

it also knocked out my outside temperature sensor.
i'm pretty sure the radiator is ok, and i haven't noticed any overheating issues...but it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
sorry for you bubby! But it gives you a unique front look!!!;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't touched up the paint yet, but some toyota oem sealant cleaner makes it look much better (this stuff takes surface scratches, scuff marks, etc. off effortlessly)...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
All things considered (I was hoping I was not going to read that your windscreen had taken the hit), not bad.
What happened to the tire? Up & over? Or underneath?

If underneath I'd check the bottom for anything that may have come loose/ripped off. I'd also look to see the radiator isn't bent too much. I think there's a bar in front of it to help protect it.

Is your temp sensor still there? Like dangling so you just plug it back in?

Glad you're okay...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
How will you replace the grille parts? I have a friend with a 9-3SS facing the same problems...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow, you seem to be lucky that it only got you in the front there. It could have been disasterious if it was flying at your windshield. I always get nervous when I see those blown truck tires on the highway. Hopefully you can get everything fixed up. I had to replace my grille pieces when I hit a deer about 6 months back. I lost the one on the right and cracked the center. I think it was about $200 for the inserts.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
That wil buff out;)

Ist not that badTBH, tyres are soft, thank your lucky stars you didnt hit a bumper or deer, you would have no bumper left!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i ordered the grille inserts the night it happened. the tire went under the car...and i did take a good look under the car. the belly pan and everything else seems fine. the temp sensor is damaged. i think the front piece is gone. when you look at the end of the wire, the sensor and the back side is there but it doesn't work. it also looks like i hit the steel belts pretty good. i have a row of "white plastic" scratches. all things considered, i got lucky.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Suck!

You could always play around with some custom mesh grille ideas now without worrying about the originals... trying to find the bright side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
strat81 said:
Glad to hear YOU made it out in one piece. Be glad it wasn't a deer!
Or a moose. You hit a deer and you still have a chance of survival in a good car, an moose will turn your car into a heap of scrap. I've seen a few examples, not pretty :cry:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, so i finally got the replacement grilles (one which seems to be "tarnished" in a couple of areas according to a dealer parts guy who wasn't willing to replace it for me because of technical details that weren't on the invoice i received :evil: ). today, i was talking to a friend beside my car and noticed the unpainted lower trim on the front spoiler was a little off. as i pushed it in line, i noticed several cracks in the wheel well lining as well as the entire rubber spoiler in front of the tire torn off. i realize it could have been worse, but i should have known this kind of stuff would start happening now that i have my first new car. my first car, an '89 toyota celica, got sold with 130,000 miles with ONE small paint chip on the hood, no cracks of any kind on the windshield, and original everything except for a front fender that my mom ran into a brick wall in our own driveway.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Cojoroh said:
i haven't touched up the paint yet, but some toyota oem sealant cleaner makes it look much better (this stuff takes surface scratches, scuff marks, etc. off effortlessly)...
Can you elaborate on this sealant cleaner? I have some light scratches in the rear bumper cover. It's $425 to pull it and paint it. Not worth it for an area that gets dirty pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's called toyo guard sealant cleaner. a care kit of 4 different bottles came with the toyota celica my parents bought around 1989. i'm guessing the only place to find it is the toyota dealer...if they even sell it anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts