SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought an OBD II reader a while back and never needed it.

I finally got a code when I was getting a slightly high idle. Normal was about 850 and the idle was wavering up to about 1100.

So I bought the OBD Fusion SW, followed the instructions, got into the ECU and saw that the codes (3 of them) did relate to the issue I had been having which was the slightly high and wavering idle.

So, I updated the vehicle info to be model specific, (chose 9-3 as the Saab model etc.), changed the tank listing to show 16 gal instead of 14 etc.

Then I cleared the codes while being sure to not change anything else.

I then tried to start the car to see the SW gauges etc.

I get the car cycling through (what seems like) a boot process but never getting to the next step and starting.

Can’t see what might have gone awry and thought I would see if it is something common that other Saab 93 owners would know about.

When I turn the key, all of the lights cycle through including the ones in the main console. If I hold the key in the start position the cycling just continues.

It is kind of strange as I have actually had zero problems with the car until the idle issue popped up.

My initial shoot from the hip step would be to remove the battery power to force the ECU to reboot when it next gets 12V but that might cause an issue in itself so I’m hanging back a bit.

Is there a toggle I should have flipped somewhere?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

WD

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
The ODB II reader updated your car's software or configuration? Or did it have some fancy submenu of Saab only choices?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The ODB II reader updated your car's software or configuration? Or did it have some fancy submenu of Saab only choices?
I appreciate your reply.
It identified the car as a Saab and there was a screen to fine-tune the model.

The 2 choices were 9-3 and 9-5 so I set it to 9-3.

It said the fuel tank was 14 ga and I set it to 16 which is what the car has, I set the cost per gallon of gas from $4.00 to $3.80.

Those are the only mods I did in the app. There was a field that was for a freeform input but I did not monkey with it.

I then clicked to clear the code and it did that (on the app screen).

When I go to start it I see the check engine indicator also lights with the rest of the gauges but I might never have noticed it and it might have been always doing it.

The link below goes to a short video of it cycling and not progressing to starting.

IMG_7666.m4v

IMG_7665.jpg IMG_7693.jpg IMG_7694.jpg

Maybe I will go back and set the tank to show 14 ga and see of that somehow told the ECU that there was something not right. (just did that and have uploaded the screens I have worked with).

Only took 4 minutes from plug in the reader to no start ; - (.

WD./

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
My ODB II reader is an old Innova plug in unit that doesn't ask troublesome questions. I'm not familiar with the software you're using. It shouldn't be able to write anything to the ECU, but who knows. The behaviour of the car is certainly unusual now.

Is the ODB II reader still plugged into the port?

I would try the following:
  1. Remove the reader, if it's still installed and try starting
  2. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and try starting
  3. Reattach the reader and return to the default tank size and try starting
Hopefully one of these steps does it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My ODB II reader is an old Innova plug in unit that doesn't ask troublesome questions. I'm not familiar with the software you're using. It shouldn't be able to write anything to the ECU, but who knows. The behaviour of the car is certainly unusual now.

Is the ODB II reader still plugged into the port?

I would try the following:
  1. Remove the reader, if it's still installed and try starting
  2. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and try starting
  3. Reattach the reader and return to the default tank size and try starting
Hopefully one of these steps does it.
It was plugged in when I was first trying to start it and then I removed it and the no start was the same.

I'm just going out now to set things back to the original settings to see if that does anything positive.

For irony, we have to list that I paid the $9.99 for the software to make sure I did not get into a SW cul-de-sac by using a freebie app. Gotta love it.

Thanks for the reply.

WD./

So, I set everything back to what they were when I first opened the app and I still get a no start but the sequence has changed to a loud clack.

Saab 93 no start

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It may be as simple as a dying battery. Turn the key to on, turn on the headlights, step on the brake and try to beep the horn. What happens to the headlights?

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Sounds like the battery died. I once plugged in a Garmin to the cig lighter and had it on and charging for like 5 mins once. that was enough to do in my battery and had to jump it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be as simple as a dying battery. Turn the key to on, turn on the headlights, step on the brake and try to beep the horn. What happens to the headlights?
Hey Guy,

I may have to FedEx you a gold star for your fridge. I checked and sure enough, the battery is heavily discharged.

So, I have it on a charger and will report back in case others search on the same kind of issue.

In 4+ decades of being around vehicles I have never seen a battery go from being just fine to tanked in just a couple minutes but I know it could happen.

The car only gets driven 9-12 miles a few times a week and so it has probably been in a "barely there" state for quite some while. A week of extra cold weather might have been the straw.

Hopefully, that is all it is.

Thanks again for the pointer.

WD./

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
^yup
These cars HATE low voltage. HATE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sounds like the battery died. I once plugged in a Garmin to the cig lighter and had it on and charging for like 5 mins once. that was enough to do in my battery and had to jump it.
Yep, could have been as little as the draw from the damn OBD reader that took it down enough.

In thinking back I have been on a good course for constantly drawing it down without ever letting it get back to 100% before being parked again.

The uber-irony is of course, that I make my living in 12V electrics and know much more than the average vehicle owner about batteries and such and I was completely blind to my own habits which were obviously a recipe for this snafu.

Now, who knows where Saab hid the controller for the loudness of the turn signal blinker/clicker?

Mine is stuck on "way too loud!".

WD./

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
it goes through the speakers via the ehu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts