SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a curb in snow going right around 15mph. My rim broke, tire went flat, and my right front tire was turned right and the tire that was damaged was turned leftd. Managed to drive car into parking lot, about 50 feet away. I tried to take the tire off, jack slipped in snow with one bolt in, what damage do you think that did? Also watched as the car went up on the tow truck probly even more damage tire wasnt moving all the bolts were out tire was off the rotor. So what do you think all that happened to it. Tire is pressed right up against the back of the plastic cover that is cracked too. What damage do you think I have caused. Can i fix it myself, relatively mechanically inclined, replaced my blown turbo with a td-04 for example. What parts am i going to need and any ideas where i can get them cheap. Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You really will not know what to replace until you can take a good look at it. Just going off of what you describe I would guess: Inner and outer tie rods, strut, possible damage to the cv joints, and obviously the rim.

Check local salvage yards if you need the parts cheap, but its always a good idea to buy these type of parts new.

·
Registered
800 Posts
^ what he said. you'll also probably need an alignment done.

depending on how much damage is done and the cost of the parts including tire and rim, might it be worth it to file an insurance claim? if your deductible is reasonable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$500 deductable, so its probly not worth it. I know i need a new axle about 60 bucks, a used rime about 60 bucks, maybe a new ball joint, maybe a new a frame. Just watched as the tow trunk put down my car in my drive way. The noise my car made as it grinded against the pavement made me want to cry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I know i need a new axle about 60 bucks, a used rime about 60 bucks, maybe a new ball joint, maybe a new a frame. Just watched as the tow trunk put down my car in my drive way. The noise my car made as it grinded against the pavement made me want to cry.
New frame? :eek: Must have been going a little faster than 15mph

·
Registered
188 Posts
Blueguy,
Bummer on the smash up. Roads have been sketchy around here. Well, I guess everywhere. $500 deductible does not sound too bad to me, to have all new parts put in. I think you will be surprised how quick it can add up if you do it yourself.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well you definitely are going to need a new alignment/tire/rim and maybe a A-arm. I bet the A-arm was damaged from the impact into the curb. Also if your car was drug all the way up on to a roll back with only one bolt in your wheel you might have done some damage to your hub too. Well check everything over and see how it looks copmared to the other side. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My crazy college days....

A bunch of us from the Fraternity House were doing donuts in the snow which was covering a parking lot behind a rival fraternity. One of the guys was driving his dad's new company provided car, a Buick Century, with all the rest of us cheering him on from the passenger seats. He hit a curb at what we felt was only 5 MPH.

Bent the frame of the Buick.

I'm not sure what story Ron told his Dad - another time Ron's dad had to panic stop while driving his Supervisor and a couple of empty beer bottles dislodged from under the seat and rolled into the bosses footwell - so I guess he probably knew what had happened. That was 30+ years ago and illustrates why I never shared my College Days experiences with my sons until after their 25th birthdays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts