SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know what the title sounds like and that this is probably a dumb question. However, when I am under boost there is a significant hissing sound, and its volume corresponds to my boost pressure. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the car, and it's loud enough that it's the loudest thing I'm hearing when accelerating.

My exhaust is stock, and all of the other turbocharged cars I've ridden in had more or less open exhausts that masked a lot of the turbo noises. So my question is, is this really loud hissing sound normal for an Aero under boost, or is it indicative of a boost leak somewhere near the back of the car?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
There is no boost anything near the back of the car. In fact, other than the gauge itself, there's no boost anything as far back as the cabin.

I'd be carefully checking the fuel lines at the pump though

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it is under load maybe it's just a hairline crack in the exhaust somewhere? It might hiss instead of changing the actual tone/buzz of the exhaust..
Your boost is maintained, right? no loss of power or jumpy boost?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Also possible (likely? even) that you have a leak in the boost gauge plumbings.
Or maybe? the blow off valve pipings
Both are simple to check by sucking on their respective hoses

·
Registered
952 Posts
Check the IAC plumbing underneath the throttle body. It's a press-fit connection that often pops off.

If it truly is coming from the back of the car, the fiberglass packing in the mufflers can unravel and clog the exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '95 9000 CSE: suddenly the boost gauge and cruise control stopped working, and it started to make a soft hissing sound during acceleration. I didn't have time to troubleshoot or repair it so it remains a mystery, most likely a vacuum leak from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Again a loose or broken Vac line. IF you don't have the time or inclination to replace the rubber hose .. Then it's not of significant importance to You.
So why are you posting the question?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Again a loose or broken Vac line. IF you don't have the time or inclination to replace the rubber hose .. Then it's not of significant importance to You.
I haven't fixed it because the car is currently in remote storage and I don't have access to it, but as soon as I get it out it will be the first problem I fix. No need to be snide.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It's like with Superaero "gone" you've decided to take up the slack.

Pity...

Yeah, I went there...:roll:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Getting old'n cranky and becoming less tolerant of silly stuff.

Maybe if you're old and cranky you should just page down. Nothing to offer in the way of help then why bother posting at all?

ajerimez, you'll solve your hissing noise by pulling the dash cap and reattaching the hose to the turbo gauge, or tracing it back through the firewall and reattaching it there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts