SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone done the hirsch tuning step 2 (280BHP) on a new-ish Aero? If you have what is it like with the extra power? Did you upgrade the breaks as well?

According to my SID I get anything from 27-32MPG's. With e.g any tuningor the above, would you say that figure will drop dramatically or only when you put your foot down? I don't really fancy a 15-20MPGs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Stage 2

Hi

Somebody on another saab bulletin board did a post on the step 2 Hirsch upgrade which he put on hisr 02 95 aero and was very pleased with. very gradual power - think he described it as "Stealth" power. I dont think he upgraded the brakes although Hirsh 305bhp package recommends you do

I have an 04 95 aero and decided to go Maptun Stage 3 route. (dont get saab warranty cover of course). Maptun are supposed to deliver the power similar to Hirsch i.e. very smooth (which it is). You dont really realise how fast you are going until you look at your speedo.;)

Hope this helps.

regards
Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
stage 2

I get around 22-24 mpg with the stage 3 although I tend to drive it hard all the time.

Some people find an increase in economy when they upgrade although I guess depends how you drive it and what mods you have had done.

dont worry about it. marginal loss in economy is compensated by the fun you will have.:p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris, what made you go for the Maptun upgrade and not the Hirsch, price? I am just worried about the warranty if something should go wrong :D.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erm... just noticed the price on the Maptun website - good price. Stage 4 and beyond must be just madness! Can't beleive the front tyres can handle all that power.

·
Registered
85 Posts
stage 2

Hi

Yes, price was the only deciding factor.

I had used Speedparts on my previous 93 which was excellant so if you like had gained confidence in these tuning products without worrying to much about warranty cover. I decided Maptun over Hirsch solely because of price.

The power is delivered smoothly. 2nd gear does not really spin the wheels. I doubt 2nd gear is much different to standard aero although 3rd, 4th and 5th is much more noticeable albeit not spinning the wheels as delivered smoothly.

regards

·
Registered
287 Posts
mushdaffer said:
Hi

Somebody on another saab bulletin board did a post on the step 2 Hirsch upgrade which he put on hisr 02 95 aero and was very pleased with. very gradual power - think he described it as "Stealth" power. I dont think he upgraded the brakes although Hirsh 305bhp package recommends you do

I have an 04 95 aero and decided to go Maptun Stage 3 route. (dont get saab warranty cover of course). Maptun are supposed to deliver the power similar to Hirsch i.e. very smooth (which it is). You dont really realise how fast you are going until you look at your speedo.;)

Hope this helps.

regards
Chris

Hey what's the other board?

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input mushdaffer, very much appreciated. I have been browsing around for some hours and it looks like most tunings (by any company) are done on the 2.3T or the older Aero. Very few if none going 04 and onwards. Majority being the Wagon 99-2002 with the lower engine output and not the 250BHP's.Oh well, got the summer to think things through.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Can't beleive the front tyres can handle all that power.
ASCIO, I have a MapTun Stage 4+ on mine - it is an auto tranny so there's a difference. Now - it will light the tires (oh yeah) but that doesn't have to happen as you can learn to work with the software with your go foot.

And mushdaffer is exactly correct - this tune is not a jackrabbit situation - but verrry smooth pulling power and yes keep your eyes on that speedo! 75 - 100MPH+ plus can happen very fast and the car has plenty more left! And that's without the Sport function utilized!

DISCLAIMER - I am in no way, shape, or form advocating breaking any speed limit laws. There I said it!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ASCIO said:
Very few if none going 04 and onwards.
:confused:

Maptun and Nordic both do MY04. (no difference btw 04 and 05 anyway)

Apart from Hirsch, obviously, those two are the best options anyway, so no point looking elsewhere...;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
ASCIO said:
Anyone done the hirsch tuning step 2 (280BHP) on a new-ish Aero? If you have what is it like with the extra power? Did you upgrade the breaks as well?
Just done exactly that on a 1 week old Aero Estate, the difference has really suprised me! I sometimes found it difficult to coax full power out of my previous aero, (probably operator error :) ). However on this car, just squeeze the loud pedal and you're off, it's wonderful. :cheesy:

As to the brakes, no I haven't upgraded them, I didn't think the 280 upgrade would make such a difference. Maybe I should rethink that now.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Warm welcome to Saab Central McWill ;)

I have a friend with the same upgrade, its absolutely awesome, and so much more responsive, congratulations ;)

Ha, one week old and upgraded already, thats so cool :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mcwill said:
Just done exactly that on a 1 week old Aero Estate, the difference has really suprised me! I sometimes found it difficult to coax full power out of my previous aero, (probably operator error :) ). However on this car, just squeeze the loud pedal and you're off, it's wonderful. :cheesy:

As to the brakes, no I haven't upgraded them, I didn't think the 280 upgrade would make such a difference. Maybe I should rethink that now.
Did you change the exhaust system? I just love that look of the new exhaust.
What is your MPG's after the change?

Have you got the auto with gears on the steeringwheel as mine or a manual one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went for the Hirsch 280hp, which came with intercooler and exhaust. However it didn't have the "two hole" end plate on it, if that is the exhaust you are referining to.

The car is a manual, and as to mpg bear in mind it only had 700 miles on it so still quite tight, averaged mpg on the SID is sitting at 28.5 which is the same my previous Aero gave me ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep.'the two-hole end plate' - Think it looks great. I just wish I had bought the wagon and not the saloon :( wasn't patient enough :lol:. Oh, well - must save up to that Hirsch kit, moving house in 2 weeks time so I better wait...

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was thinking about doing the Hirsh upgrade for £850 to my new vector sport estate 56 plate with 2k on the clock. However, does anyone know how much the dealer with charge to install it or if an independant can do it. I live in Ilkeston. I am thinking they may try and sting me on the conversion. I know there are other options but i was thinking i have 2.5 years of warrenty left so...

Thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi did I hear someone call. ;)

I had a MY03 9-5, which has a stage 2 upgrade. This comprised of the ECU, the intercooler and the exhaust, and yes the full hirsch kit with the 18" alloys.

The power on the car was incredible and noticeably different, it was a bit more responsive and the power was delivered much more immediate plus the burst of power continued far longer. Unfortunately all good things come to an end and I had to sell my pride and joy for house purchase.

I was interested by the abbott post on this forum and I am considering on this upgrade especially at that price.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
djrpowell said:
I was thinking about doing the Hirsh upgrade for £850 to my new vector sport estate 56 plate with 2k on the clock. However, does anyone know how much the dealer with charge to install it or if an independant can do it. I live in Ilkeston. I am thinking they may try and sting me on the conversion. I know there are other options but i was thinking i have 2.5 years of warrenty left so...

Thanks

Daniel
Talk to Wessy at Nottingham Saab and see what he can do for you by talking to a few dealers locally!

www.saabperformancecentre.co.uk

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
saabgeazer said:
I was interested by the abbott post on this forum and I am considering on this upgrade especially at that price.
Tahir I would be very interested in your particular feedback if you do by Abbott software, please let us know ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, here is the low down on the Abbott Racing offer, the figures that Karl originally posted were confusing but may have been correct.

Anyway the £299 offer is only for an ECU upgrade.

For £744 you get the exhaust upgrade plus £54.50 fitting on top, and if you go for the ECU upgrade you get this for £175 (saving £125) total price is £1143.86 that includes VAT and fitting. And for another £581 you can get a twin exit exhaust.

What is confusing me is that they quoted me £584 +VAT for just the exhaust however their website states £365.00, and there is no exhaust for the price they quoted me the twin exhaust is £645 + VAT, so where does this £584 price come from.

Puzzled, yes certainly I am.:roll:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts