SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen plenty of photos from people who went with the Carbon Fiber leather dash from Hirsch, but not from those with the Nappa version. So for anyone looking to upgrade ... just installed mine recently;

Stupidly expensive, but a substantial upgrade over the stock GM dash - I'm pleased with the results.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice... however how do u like ur headunit? in terms of audio and gps.
No major complaints on the Pioneer unit. GPS no issues at all. Some minor problems with audio - sometimes not recognizing the USB drive - but nothing I'd see at serious. My only thing is that it doesn't go loud enough - but I think that's more limitation of the Bose amp versus the head unit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No major complaints on the Pioneer unit. GPS no issues at all. Some minor problems with audio - sometimes not recognizing the USB drive - but nothing I'd see at serious. My only thing is that it doesn't go loud enough - but I think that's more limitation of the Bose amp versus the head unit.
What model is this specifically? its too blurry in the pic. this might be a stupid question but are you able to use the steering wheel audio controls with this unit?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Good stuff. Always wondered what it would look like but even though your dash is '07 plus it gives me a better idea as to what to expect. Now to add that to the list of things I need done to the Aero haha..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks to your pics I decided to order the Nappa leather dash and handle trim kit for my 2008 9-3 Aero xwd. It took awhile to get it from Elkparts in the UK to the US due to backorder issues, but it was worth it. I almost went with the carbon leather and after seeing how gorgeous the nappa leather is, im glad I didnt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, can you give a fellow Canadian some insight as to the install process? Ease of install? Challenges?

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Door Handel's >
Time - Took me 1 hour but if you've done it before takes 15 minutes.
Difficulty - Id say is easy once you figure it out. I had a tough time getting all three contact points to engage on two of the handles. I believe this is because with the slight added thickness from the leather, it fits a little more snuggly.
Tools required - Flat head screwdriver
Directions - I had found directions online that I cant seem to find again. Just examine where the contact points are on the hirsch parts. A tip is to use a small flathead screwdriver to first pry out the bottom contact point and any other points that rent disengaging. If I find the forum i referenced I will post it, it was very helpful.

Smart Slot >
Time - 1 minute
Difficulty -Very Easy
Tools - None
Directions - Just pull up firmly to remove. No tools required. Push down firmly to install new one. I did have a fit issue again with the added thickness of the leather. It just took some finesse to get it to clip in.

Hand Brake >
Time - 20 minutes
Difficulty - Hard without breaking the top piece and losing springs. Luckily Hirsch supplies an extra spring but you have to remember how it installs because you only have one chance or you have to break the Hirsch handle to disassemble.
Directions - I wont give directions because I highly recommend a professional install this. Plus it was just a bunch of prying with a flathead screwdriver at the seam.

Front 2 Aluminum Door Sills>
Time - 5 minutes
Difficulty - Easy
Tools - None
Directions - Just Pull straight up with your hands at the connection point about 1/3 of the way in from the sides. Examine Hirsch part for location of contact points. Install by lining up connectors and pushing down firmly until you hear it snap in place.
Tip - I didnt like the Hirsch supplied connection pins so I replaced them with the existing ones. They just slide out by hand to replace.

Dashboard > I personally had the dealer install this because I hear removing the air vents is a pain in the butt. There are forums that describe methods for doing so. I thought I read there was potential of losing springs and causing damage so I left it up to the professionals. But if you can get past that point the rest is easy. Just a couple of screws to remove the stereo and the dash. If my memory is correct you may need to remove the glove box as weel. Dealer took 1 hour to install costing $120 USD.

I apologize for the poor image quality. These where taken from a cellphone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
oh my, that looks delicious!

Door Handel's >
Time - Took me 1 hour but if you've done it before takes 15 minutes.
Difficulty - Id say is easy once you figure it out. I had a tough time getting all three contact points to engage on two of the handles. I believe this is because with the slight added thickness from the leather, it fits a little more snuggly.
Tools required - Flat head screwdriver
Directions - I had found directions online that I cant seem to find again. Just examine where the contact points are on the hirsch parts. A tip is to use a small flathead screwdriver to first pry out the bottom contact point and any other points that rent disengaging. If I find the forum i referenced I will post it, it was very helpful.

Smart Slot >
Time - 1 minute
Difficulty -Very Easy
Tools - None
Directions - Just pull up firmly to remove. No tools required. Push down firmly to install new one. I did have a fit issue again with the added thickness of the leather. It just took some finesse to get it to clip in.

Hand Brake >
Time - 20 minutes
Difficulty - Hard without breaking the top piece and losing springs. Luckily Hirsch supplies an extra spring but you have to remember how it installs because you only have one chance or you have to break the Hirsch handle to disassemble.
Directions - I wont give directions because I highly recommend a professional install this. Plus it was just a bunch of prying with a flathead screwdriver at the seam.

Front 2 Aluminum Door Sills>
Time - 5 minutes
Difficulty - Easy
Tools - None
Directions - Just Pull straight up with your hands at the connection point about 1/3 of the way in from the sides. Examine Hirsch part for location of contact points. Install by lining up connectors and pushing down firmly until you hear it snap in place.
Tip - I didnt like the Hirsch supplied connection pins so I replaced them with the existing ones. They just slide out by hand to replace.

Dashboard > I personally had the dealer install this because I hear removing the air vents is a pain in the butt. There are forums that describe methods for doing so. I thought I read there was potential of losing springs and causing damage so I left it up to the professionals. But if you can get past that point the rest is easy. Just a couple of screws to remove the stereo and the dash. If my memory is correct you may need to remove the glove box as weel. Dealer took 1 hour to install costing $120 USD.

I apologize for the poor image quality. These where taken from a cellphone.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Pardon my igonrance, but..
Do you actually remove the panels, wrap with leather and put back
or
Is it an actuall dash piece wrapped that you only put in?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I prefer the look of the Nappa leather because it doesn't accentuate the joint between the leather dash and plastic radio, vents, buttons. They read a little more as one material. Nappa leather dash is more subtle and little less "boy racer" then the carbon leather. But the carbon leather was very tempting.

By the way, installing the leather dash and handle kits solved some of my plastic squeak/rattle noises.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pardon my igonrance, but..
Do you actually remove the panels, wrap with leather and put back
or
Is it an actuall dash piece wrapped that you only put in?
It is from Hirsch Performance. Google it cause i dont think saabcentral will let me post the link. If your in America its difficult to get. I got mine by ordering it from a UK saab website named after a popular animal in Sweden (not allowed to say it). In other countries you can get the parts from the dealer and it doesn't void your warranty because they are actual saab parts wrapped in leather. Not some after market plastic. Not that the saab plastic is a speciman of bhigh quality, hence the reason I went and purchased these leather parts.

I have seen posts from people who have a local artisan wrap their parts in leather, or 3M fake carbon product. From the photos I've seen they dont compare to Hirsch products, but are a good alternative if your trying to save a buck.

Hirsch is expensive but every time i reach for a my new handle pull or handbrake and feel leather instead of that creaky plastic, i cant help but smile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts