SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has this set of rims installed on their car? Would like to gather some feedback on how is the ride (comfortable, firm, harsh???). These rims are so beautiful but I am very worry of the ride comfort especially I got my 2 girls in my back seats.

The picture file size is too big so I am not able to post the picture.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
I can guarrantee you that this is going to be harsh. Imagine that little bit of rubber between the wheels and the road. My advice is, maximum 18".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
epsilon93 said:
I can guarrantee you that this is going to be harsh. Imagine that little bit of rubber between the wheels and the road. My advice is, maximum 18".
But I check with blacknight and accordingly, it is not that bad.
I used to have 18" with SO3 (stiff sidewall), it is very hard in the beginning but I got used to them after a while. So I was wondering whether it is the same for 19"?

These rims just grow on me... The more I see them, the more I am attracted to them. Moreover, they look very cool on 9-3 SC...:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
A forum member bladey wrote a review of a Hirsch 252 which had these wheels on + the Hirsch springs and he thought it drove very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I think this is pretty subjective. It all depends on what you want the most. If comfort is your biggest priority then even 18" are probably a big :nono;. But if you couldn't give a squat about comfort and all you are looking for is super good looks then why stop at 19".

Another factor to consider is the road conditions. I have driven in Singapore and I must say the roads there are excellent in my opinion so I don't think 19" are much of a problem. Might be more road noise.

Different people will have different opinions because their requirements and the conditions they drive in ultimately do affect their judgement. But those 19" will look damn cool on a SC though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
I tried the Hirsch 19 inch 3 spokes in a test drive. The turning circle was reduced and because a stearing wheel limiter was not in place, the tyres rubbed on the inner wheel arches. In my view, they are far too rough a ride for manchester roads. Hirsch springs too. Pity, they look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smurkenstein said:
I tried the Hirsch 19 inch 3 spokes in a test drive. The turning circle was reduced and because a stearing wheel limiter was not in place, the tyres rubbed on the inner wheel arches. In my view, they are far too rough a ride for manchester roads. Hirsch springs too. Pity, they look great.
I am surprised that these rims would rub against the inner wheel arches. Hirsch should be experienced enough to know that. Definitely it is an important info for me before I make my decision. Thanks

I couldn't agree more. It is a pity that they do not have the design for smaller rims like 18" or even 17". They look so COOL...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JWLANKY said:
A forum member bladey wrote a review of a Hirsch 252 which had these wheels on + the Hirsch springs and he thought it drove very well.
Very good review of the Hirsch Stage 2 too. :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uneek93 said:
Another factor to consider is the road conditions. I have driven in Singapore and I must say the roads there are excellent in my opinion so I don't think 19" are much of a problem. Might be more road noise.

Different people will have different opinions because their requirements and the conditions they drive in ultimately do affect their judgement. But those 19" will look damn cool on a SC though.
I would never consider 19" rims on my previous 9-5, but I accidentally went into the Hirsch website and DAMN... I saw the 19" on a 9-3 SC!!! It just matches so well with the car, in my opinion...

S'pore is fine especially we have a lot of highways but malaysia roads will be a challenge, especially we often make trips there...

Maybe we can meet one fo these days in malaysia when I drive up north with my friends...:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
If you do not intend to lower your car I think it will be OK and should not rub the wheel well. I would still advise against going 19". BlackKnight's butt-o-meter is different from yours or mine and he is more used to firmer rides. Here are the pros and cons;

Pros
- looks good and fills up the wheel well nicely
- lightweight

Cons
- tyres will be expensive and difficult to procure
- fewer choices of tyre type and brands
- those magnesium alloy rims are much more brittle than aluminium alloy and are likely to crack if you hit a pothole especially in Malaysia
- tyres are freakin expensive
- ride will be harsh and you will soon get more rattles in the car than you'd want
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
epsilon93 said:
If you do not intend to lower your car I think it will be OK and should not rub the wheel well. I would still advise against going 19". BlackKnight's butt-o-meter is different from yours or mine and he is more used to firmer rides. Here are the pros and cons;

Pros
- looks good and fills up the wheel well nicely
- lightweight

Cons
- tyres will be expensive and difficult to procure
- fewer choices of tyre type and brands
- those magnesium alloy rims are much more brittle than aluminium alloy and are likely to crack if you hit a pothole especially in Malaysia
- tyres are freakin expensive
- ride will be harsh and you will soon get more rattles in the car than you'd want
That why I need more feedback to make a decision. If not I will stick to my 17" stock rims but they are heavy... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
epsilon93 said:
Cons
- tyres will be expensive and difficult to procure
- fewer choices of tyre type and brands
- tyres are freakin expensive
- ride will be harsh and you will soon get more rattles in the car than you'd want
Aye the "rubber band" style tyres only had 500 miles on them, they were looking really worn. I think the low sidewalls contribute to the harsh ride.

Incidentally, the steering wheel limiter is sold by Hirsch for those particular wheels.

The other down...you gotta have nice looking calipers becasue they really show.

/edit..I was wondering if you could get them custom fabricated in a smaller wheel size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
I have went through a set of 17's 18's and now 19's. Really, the 19's, they look awesome and make the saab look outstanding. In addition to the cars not so good dampening, the 19's will make the car rattle more.

Of course the 19's will add to te rattling of the car, but mine was an early build model with possibly more rattles, squeaks, etc to begin with. After i went 19's I have gained one rattle in the dash, and a few on the rear deck. All 4 window liners (not sure if thats what they are called) have somehow amplified greatly , but the rattle was there to begin with.

As for the road feel, its definately stiffer and harsher, but with good tires, it should help a bit.

The bottom line, if you really don't care about the quality of the ride, then go for it. Its simply the best upgrade one can get. Handling will be much sharper and precise as opposed to the stock 17's and other 18's wheels. If you really mind the harsher ride, 19's is not the way to go.

Keep mind that i live in Montreal Canada (downtown) and the roads ranks amongst the 5 worst cities, roads wise (accoriding to me) ;)

On a side note i have 235/35/19 on stock sports setup with no wheel turning limiter, and there are no rubbing issues whatsoever.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Vector-SS
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing
Top