SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I consider myself a classic/alternative rock kinda guy. Well, that has started to change recently since I started commuting with a girl to work each day.

She really only likes hip-hop/r&b so that means Hot 97 or Power 105 in the NYC area.

All I can say is even if you don't like hip hop, find a station, turn the bass all the way to the right, and crank it!

Amazing bass, earth shattering.... she was like "does this have bose system or something??? wtf?? this thing's got mad bass."

I'm not sure what they listen to in Sweden, but the guy/gal that developed the stereo system likes hip hop!

Sure this girl uses phrases like "he was all up in your grill." and "that guy had a mad set of 20's on his ride." Which cracks me up cause she's a 22 year old white girl from suburbia... did I mention I'm 35... and she's amazingly hot.. life is good. :cheesy:

Bottom line, even if you don't like hip-hop, find a station and try it out... you too will be impressed! I even find myself listen to the stations now when I'm alone... and lord help me, I know the words to some of the songs... which cracks her up....

Anyway, felt I had to share with my fellow 9-3 homies.

Peace out suckas!:lol:
Jim

Disclaimer: it is possible that the hot blonde makes it sound better...:p

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cayman1 said:
Earth shattering bass???

You sure you're driving a 9-3???? :lol:
Looks like a 9-3... smells like a 9-3... drives like a 9-3 :D

All I can say is every now and then I would hear a song on the radio or on a cd that I'd think "wow why does that have such good bass and other songs normally dont"

It must be a specific frequency range that the subwoofers are tuned for or something... hip hop apparently is that range. Just about every song on those stations makes my seat vibrate, my rearview mirror shake... other stations sadly do not.

Try it... maybe I got lucky... in many ways... ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, while some (ok most) music doesn't sound all that good, hip hop/r&b sounds pretty decent on the 300w stereo. Try something with a very defined bass line and you'll see, for instance i remember that Dante Thomas - Miss California really made me think "am i in the right car here?".

Oh and in Sweden we're all about the hip hop, fo shizzle!

·
Registered
208 Posts
For me it is Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony!

Track 1 "Sunrise" and the halfway through the piece "The Summit" track 9? Fantastic how the horns soar over the whole orchestra, the violins, violas, cellos ,basses providing that wonderful warm but exhilirating string sound and the wind intruments with the harmony! What a great piece of music in the true sense of 'great'!

There's a very good recording with San Francisco Symphony Orchestra I believe. I love the Bamberg Philharmonic recording with Horst Stein conducting!

Dr. C

I like Hip-hop too. I'm 35 too, but...

·
Registered
37 Posts
300 Watt kick *** in my aero

Jim,
I'm with you. I've got the Best of Hotel Costes in my CD player. I like a track called "Latazz" and this stereo really kicks.
I've read the complaints, but I like the stereo. Even when I plug in my Iriver MP3 player in the aux-in the sound is deep and rich.
Of course it doesn't match the B&W towers on my home system, but hell, I turn heads drivin' thru the ghetto.:cool:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Doesnt the 13/300 have Pioneer speakers? Anyway, the bass is pretty good in my vector but not extremly impressive. I think its just about perfect, well no, my parents Envoy has the best stock stereo I have ever heard. Bose = best stock car stereo (at least that Ive heard)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
jmr said:
Oh and in Sweden we're all about the hip hop, fo shizzle!
Now, I would like to know what the translation of "fo shizzle" into Swedish is. Would be fun to spring that on the Ronnums Herrgård check-in clerk when I pick up my new SAAB next week in Trollhättan. :cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
482 Posts
No sense...

The stereo in my 9-3 is the worst stock stereo system that I have ever heard.

I am perplexed that the other 300w stereos are getting praise here? Perhaps they changed it?

No, probably not.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
GriffinAero said:
Jim,
I'm with you. I've got the Best of Hotel Costes in my CD player. I like a track called "Latazz" and this stereo really kicks.
I've read the complaints, but I like the stereo. Even when I plug in my Iriver MP3 player in the aux-in the sound is deep and rich.
Of course it doesn't match the B&W towers on my home system, but hell, I turn heads drivin' thru the ghetto.:cool:
Good taste in music;)
I have a IRiver H340 and keep it on the SRS WOW setting and the system sounds fantastic too!! Far better than the stock CD.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
The 150W system in the Linear is absolutely pathetic. I remember when I first got the car and Outkast's "The Way You Move" came out. A friend had the CD so we listened to it. Anything past 1 o'clock on the bass and the volume turned up a bit would bottom out the door speakers. Horrible. Now, with the Image Dynamics....smooth sailing. Soon to be better with ny DLS R1070's in the rear. Just waiting for my amp to get here......

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I have more than 300 watts RMS going through my Ribbon Planars and around 4000 watts RMS ablity going through my infrawoofers and even then i cant move the ground! only my windows and doors tailgate:cheesy:

The woofers i use can move 4 times the air that the B&W Nautilus reference speakers can so guess how much bass i have in my car:roll: you want bass, 300 watts will not move the ground my friend:cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a July 03 build 2004 Aero (with the 300 stereo). I think it sounds pretty good.

My 9-3 did need a TechII stereo upgrade.....which improved the sound. Maybe a lot of 2003/2004 owners should get this software upgrade.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 04 vert arc, and was told that it the 300w did not come in an Arc that year. Well I test drove a few cars before I picked mine and the stereo sounded weak in many, but my car has very good sound. I NEVER have to turn my bass up much at all. I listen to everything from the IPOD, to classic, to jazz to HIP-hop. I think it is luck of the draw!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, Some Music...

I also agree that some music sounds better in the car. I find that songs with very low long smooth bass actually sound quite good, because the rear 6x9's handle the subwoofer tones. Usually it is rap/hip hop; however, some songs have a more punchy bass, like quick bass tones, and those dont sound so good. The door speakers are the problem here i think...I get a bottoming out from the door on these types of songs(some hip-hop, some other types). This is why i am about to switch the door speakers to the 6.5 Infinity Kappas to see how it performs then. It just goes to show you that this stereo, while not horrible, is not up to par. It doesnt have good balance through the whole spectrum of sound, maybe the amp or the crossovers are not set up right(I'm far from an expert, just a guess here)...there is no reason that certain songs should sound good and other do not. I have already switched the 2 front dash speakers with 3.5 Boston Acoustics, and after fiddling around with the fader and bass knobs, have come to a decent sound---Lets see what it sounds like after the Kappas in the door

1 - 20 of 32 Posts