SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished my drive home from school for spring break and got some really impressive mpg numbers.

I am always keeping an eye on my mpg to keep an eye out for possible issues. So usually I keep a trip average going on my Torque app for 20+ mile expeditions. I had previously recorded around ~35 mpg doing a drive along the I-81 corridor in VA between Harrisonburg and Roanoke, about 100 miles with a speed limit of 70 most of the way. I figured the app may have been embellishing the numbers a bit. So I decided to pull my SID to reset it right before I left on this trip and see what it gave me.

Well, after about 110 miles with an average speed of 67 mph (~110 kph), the SID was showing me 34.5 mpg (14.67 km/L). Pretty impressed with it especially because probably 80% of that drive was over 70 mph (~115 kph), with a few stops that brought the average speed down quite a bit.

Anyone else that monitors theirs closely? I'm curious what the norm is.

It's nice to have a 13 year old car beating the original EPA estimates by 20%. I now kind of want to take a drive through some rural VA roads at around 55-60 mph and see what type of numbers I could get.

·
Registered
433 Posts
All the time haha, On average, i get around 20-23 mostly at 45mph with idiot drivers who wont wont go that extra 2mph so i can sit in the zone where my car wont shift down..... Damn you automatic! 126(Main backroad)/128(highway) are my primary two roads of travel, normally 126 in the morning, than 128 home(every other). Avg. highway for me is about 25mpg, though most highway runs i take have been with a new ECU(Recent) or BAD spark plugs when the car was made in 03', yes the guy before us never changed the plugs....

I log extensively on Fuelly
. My MPG's are rather inconsistant as my foot is a bit less aggressive than that of my mothers who takes it about once a week or more, it costs her less to put 93 in my car vs. her Subaru Forester(06' Base Automatic). I don't do much highway, but anything around 20 im happy with. But im kicking my self in the butt that i don't have a manual :roll:

Random: If i use 0w-40 oil will my gas mileage be better than the 5w-30 im using now? or will it be negligible?

·
Registered
579 Posts
That is some exceptional mileage. Try calculating a full tank by hand to verify whether the app or sid is giving reliable numbers. I typically see around 28-29mpg highway. Usually going a fair bit faster than that, though I'm not sure that slowing down would put me in the 30s.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I watch my MPG readout on the SID pretty carefully and periodically do the longhand calculations to make sure its accurate, which I'm satisfied it is.

Typically I get right around 30 mpg overall with 90% highway travel between 75-80mph and 10% around town (stop lights, 30-45 mph roads, etc).

I've discovered that at least on my car, the economy spikes upwards significantly when traveling on higher speed secondary roads...like a 55mph 2 lane blacktop kind of rural route. When traveling roads like that I'm near and at times have exceeded 40mpg for extended periods.

I enjoy watching the DTE display on my SID as I travel roads like that, especially right after a fill up and SID reset. It usually starts out around 425 miles DTE and it slowly climbs for the next hour...once I saw a 711 mile DTE on my SID when I was making an attempt at hypermileing...didn't last because over the course of a full tank you always drive all over the place in all sorts of conditions, but its cool anyway.

I'd love to take a really long trip on just 55 mph back roads and see if I can actually get 650+ miles out of a full tank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am getting 24-26 MPG 90% highway with a roof rack with two bike trays with Thule wind deflector on my 9-5 Aero at 70-80 MPH speeds. Not very good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I pretty much average 20 mpgs with exactly 50/50 driving through the 4spd automatic...and even the highway miles are stop and go. Im getting almost the same mpgs as my manual stage 3 9000 got...so I guess im doing fine haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts