SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Aero clutch, its struggling to cope with the torque so I need to fit a higher rated clutch.

Any ideas anyone.
Have looked at Maptun and Abbott clutches, Maptun SPEC bolt on friction plate looks OK, (http://www.maptun.com/webshop/shop_info.php?id=2392&rubrik=114&kategori=662)
Their other HI-spec clutches need flywheel refacing.
Abbott clutch only one choice, Sachs race clutch

Anyone have experience of the different types?
Any info will be much appreciated before I go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am running about 320bhp, torque not sure but probably in the region of 450nm+

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
afm said:
Am running about 320bhp, torque not sure but probably in the region of 450nm+
Looks like we are in the same ballpark ( football field) The aero set up is really nice. If your car is a daily driver and you go Spec III it will enagage hard and may chatter at slow speed take-off accellerations ( from reports here and elsewhere)

I went with the areo since i wanted a stock feel to may car and it has yet to let me down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TDO4HL-18T turbo, fmic, bigger intake+ delivery pipes, etc.
LSD, Bilsteins, uprated springs + brakes.
Currently have Aero clutch but it can't cope under full boost. Slip isn't too much, just that little bit of give for a fraction of a second or so under full acceleration.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I am at GT25/28-28, Larger Abbott style IC, Forged Pistons, LSD, viggen intake, Larger Deliver pipe, T5 cams.

I would say we are pretty dang close. Aero works for me, how old is your clutch?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10k max
I'm not a clutch wearing out person either, usually clutches last for over 100k

I managed to get a burning smell from it about 3 months ago, trying maximum off the line acceleration.;oops:
That was probably the beginning of my problems.
Shouldn't have tried it, usually dont put foot down until 2nd gear.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I had this discussion on Saab Link a week ago and people were uninterested in discussing anything but how perfect the aero clutch was. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I want a Spec Stage 3 aero clutch (yes they now have cltuches in the larger 240mm aero size :) ) IF they can hold a WOT 2nd gear launch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Off to France for a weeks holiday,
lets hope the clutch lasts till I get home:lol:

Does anyone know what the clutch feel is like with stronger clutch, don't want wife to complain too much.

Having driven several 7.5 tonners recently I know how a heavy clutch can be really irritating on a long run.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
afm said:
Off to France for a weeks holiday,
lets hope the clutch lasts till I get home:lol:

Does anyone know what the clutch feel is like with stronger clutch, don't want wife to complain too much.

Having driven several 7.5 tonners recently I know how a heavy clutch can be really irritating on a long run.
Yes she will complain... I have a spec in my TR6 and it sure will give your leg a workout to keep it from grabbing uncontrollably

afm said:
I managed to get a burning smell from it about 3 months ago, trying maximum off the line acceleration.;oops:
That was probably the beginning of my problems.
Shouldn't have tried it, usually dont put foot down until 2nd gear.
Sounds like you glazed your flywheel. It may just need to be resurfaced. You really shoudl make sure you break the cluttch in before launching hard...
Stipud said:
Nick at Genuinesaab reports good experiences using the Spec clutch with the stock pressure plate. You might want to talk to him about a good setup for your car... [email protected].
Nick is the one who told me to use the Aero Clutch if under 400HP ( and he sells the spec clutches.
Raven said:
I had this discussion on Saab Link a week ago and people were uninterested in discussing anything but how perfect the aero clutch was. :roll:
I would love for you to get one so I can see how it drives, I for one cannot deal with a hard clutch driving 202 and 422 everyday... but my leg is much older than yours

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Jssaab said:
I would love for you to get one so I can see how it drives, I for one cannot deal with a hard clutch driving 202 and 422 everyday... but my leg is much older than yours
I guess I should try it while I'm young. :p I can always go back to an aero clutch later in life.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Sadly I have too much to do today. :cry:

...................and I accidently blew out one of my summer tires driving over a curb so I'm on snow tires. :evil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts