SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people do MAF swaps in other kinds of cars to allow more flow into the system. Has anyone ever attempted this on saabs?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
u dont need a bigger maf than 3inches trust me... i went out and got a few gm mafs then ported the ish outta the exit side... it is nice ;) i am waiting for another gm maf i ordered like last week.. i will be doing the same with that one and likely porting it as well..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
there's some good trivia!

·
Registered
276 Posts
nbndtrain said:
Our MAF is good to 500HP. It is the same one as in a 90's vette.
Are the MAFs from a 90's vette a 'plug and play' if swaped into a Saab t7? If so, what model year vette and/or GM part number.

and does this mean we/saab's could use something like this:
http://www.corvettegarage.com/product/MAF-Translator-for-C5-Corvette.html

or this:
http://www.corvettegarage.com/product/Granatelli-MAF-Sensor-for-C5-and-Z06-Corvette.html

or even this:
http://www.corvettedreams.com/mafend.htm

interesting, scroll to the bottem of this page:
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmmafautomotive.htm

·
Registered
576 Posts
Electronics wouldn't work since T7 is totally different. I believe those ends would work, but I don't know whether it is really that much of a bottleneck in our cars compared to the vette. My suggestion is not to mess with the MAF as it's operation is critical to a turbo car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
nbndtrain said:
Electronics wouldn't work since T7 is totally different. I believe those ends would work, but I don't know whether it is really that much of a bottleneck in our cars compared to the vette. My suggestion is not to mess with the MAF as it's operation is critical to a turbo car.

looking around, it seems that the GM LT1 MAF is quite a bit cheaper and easier to find than the Saab T7 MAF. So if they are indeed the exact same thing, then we can save ourselves a few bucks by purchasing the LT1 MAF, which more shops carry. Hell, some of the performance Lt1 MAFs are even cheaper than the Saab branded unit.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I thought rico just found the similarity between t7 and other gm cars and baught a different car's maf to save some cash. I don't see how you can upgrade? Where is he anyways....

·
Registered
804 Posts
jperk said:
looking around, it seems that the GM LT1 MAF is quite a bit cheaper and easier to find than the Saab T7 MAF. So if they are indeed the exact same thing, then we can save ourselves a few bucks by purchasing the LT1 MAF, which more shops carry. Hell, some of the performance Lt1 MAFs are even cheaper than the Saab branded unit.
The GM MAF's are essentially the same as our Saab MAF's. They even have the same Massflow/Hz curve. I plotted the values from the WIS against this chart, and they are an exact match:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/SaabTuner/mafgraph.jpg

And here is a site showing the different kinds of GM MAF's ... all of which, I presume, have the same massflow/hz curves. I could be wrong, however, and I've not tested that. (copy paste into browswer)

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/items.asp?CartId={C22EVEREST7A272-85DE-4F9A-894A-A84B417097C7}&Cc=MAF&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

^^^Ours would be the 3". It's possible that even the 4" would be compatible ... if the massflow/hz curves are indeed calibrated the same. Maaaaybe.

Adrian~

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like fun. :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think I may have an idea for you guys-may or may not work.Summitt racing sells a computer that goes in between the maf and ecu on corvettes-I believe it manipulates the signal coming form the maf and going to the ecu to "trick it" into thinking different amount of air thus changing mixture.You can change the air fuel ratio with this.Sort of like a variable T5boost4.I have T5 on both my saabs so not too sure about how well it would work with for you guys but you can program it/vary it.Might come in handy for upgraded injectors and other fuel mods.Just a suggestion.Check it out,especially you Rico!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i HAVE a gm maf on my car right now.. i spliced the wires and wired the new harness, along with a maf... it works exactly the same way... no difference whatsoever...

·
Registered
804 Posts
ricot83 said:
i HAVE a gm maf on my car right now.. i spliced the wires and wired the new harness, along with a maf... it works exactly the same way... no difference whatsoever...
I wonder if one could work up a way to make a simple adaptor which wouldn't require splicing the wires. I bet it would sell if you can make it for less than the difference between our MAF and the GM MAF ... or even if you can't, for high HP people, the 4" MAF would be nice. ;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
There was a source (pro-flow) a while back for high capasity MAFs, but I dont know what happened to this shack. Their webpage has been down for quit a while now. One good thing about that place was the possibility to match the new MAF to work with the same parameters as the std one. Only problem is that all those MAF did work on a 0-5V scale, not frequency modulated like the saab one. Here is a copy and paste from that page

Mass Air Meter Calibrator Instructions

Background: The mass air flow calibrator is designed to allow the end user to match a specific car. It allows the troubleshooter to properly diagnose a car, or change injector sizes without returning the meter to Pro-M for recalibration. The calibrator can also be used while performing drive evaluations.

Note: The calibrator, if not properly used, can cause severe engine damage. The calibrators low flow potentiometer is set at 500, and the high flow potentiometer is set at 500. This is factory preset to assure the unit does not bias the vehicle air/fuel mixture improperly.

The calibrator is a development as well as a calibration tool, and must be used according to the manufacture instructions. Failure to do so may result in severe engine damage.

The extent of Pro-Flow’s liability under this warranty shall be limited to the prompt correction or replacement at Pro-Flow’s option and at no cost to the customer other than the return shipment of any defective part of the product determined to be necessary by Pro-Flow. This only applies if written notice of the claimed defect was received by Pro-Flow prior to the expiration of the warranty period. Use of this product is at customer risk.

Description:

The calibrator is designed to plug in-line with the existing mass air flow sensor and factory harness.

The hardware consists of the following:

HardwarePurposeController Box Red/Black Banana JacksPlug in for volt ohm meter, to measure voltsRed LEDWhen Lit, indicates power to the unit Recal/MAF SwitchSelect either recal or maf signal positionLow flow potAllows adjustment of MAF at low air flows(idle)High flow potAllows adjustment of MAF at high air flows(wot)Pigtail ConnectorPlugs into existing mass air flow meterInterface BoxExisting MAF harness connects here

The biggest diameter of those MAFs was 4.65" for lunitics.
The 3" std model will flow plenty for the 99.9% of the users writing to this board...

my 0.02

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Vigge said:
The biggest diameter of those MAFs was 4.65" for lunitics.
The 3" std model will flow plenty for the 99.9% of the users writing to this board...

my 0.02
true story... unless u r nearing 400-450hp i wouldnt even think about changing to a larger one.. the stock innner diameter is something like 3 3/8" or sumthin like htat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts