SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting bit of convertible top opening experience... 2000 9-3 SE with 91k miles.

My convertible top opens only okay. But during the process of opening it stops about 5 times and only sometimes tells me (in the SID) of a 'convertible top malfunction.' If you ignore the message and click once again the open button it will continue a bit further then again tell me of the malfunction or just stop altogether without a message. These four-to-five work stoppages all happen within the first 1/3 of the opening process while the rear window is trying to lift up so that the tonneau cover can open. Also, once the convertible top does get to opening the motor sounds 'loud', like a whining. It's a bit of a straining 'loud' but I can't say for sure that it's straining. Also, once it opens the tonneau cover it continues without problem all the way close or open.

Rookie dianosis:

1. High resistance against the motors for one reason or another. According to the owner's manual the top will stop if it thinks it's being resisted.

2. Top motor is going bad (high internal resistance).

3. A sensor is telling it to stop.

To rule out #1 I manually opened the top (step by step, not a complete disconnect) and felt the 'play.' It was easy to move the top manually, in general so I ruled out resistance in the folding metal pieces or material jamming the process.

To rule out #3 I tried to 'help it along' by lifting the rear window portion during opening. It had the same problem--stopping every so often--even with my help.

So I am led to believe that there's some internal resistance in the motor, itself or there could still be a sensor issue. I assume that when the top throws a 'malfunction' that can be read, correct? Needless to say I haven't had this done.

Any experience in rebuilding these motors or having these motors go bad? I found a used one for $650--whoopie!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just had a duh-ism. Forgetting that the top opening is hydrolic... the sound I hear is just like the sound you get when you're low on power steering fluid and try to turn the wheel. Perhaps my top system is low on fluid.

Can anyone guide me on how to check the fluid?

·
Registered
997 Posts
The passway between the truck and the rear seat. Open up the black plastic. There are a few screws. Then lift out the hydraulic motor and lay it on its side (really can't remove it b/c of the lines but you can check and add fluid easily).

More detailed instructions
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41240&highlight=hydraulic+fluid

Use Saab fluid even though it is expensive!
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107894&highlight=hydraulic+fluid

Always use saab fluid (don't want to sound like a recording but it will cause major problems if you don't use it).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. When I was originally searching past posts I didn't think about the hydrolic fluid connection... else I might've found these and not wasted board space. ;oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts