SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Another question, hopefully you could help me tackle this one. I get a high-pitched whine after driving for some time, not immediately. It happens when I go above 35-ish mph, and when I tilt the steering wheel to the left. If I lean right, it kind of goes away. I might be hearing some humming noise as I roll around at slower speeds. Is it definitely a wheel bearing/hub? Is there a good way to diagnose? It doesn't happen always, but has gotten more pronounced recently.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
right wheel bearing

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
$500-$600 all in with bearing is my guess.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
brake pads got plenty of meat?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Just wanted to make sure it isnt the tab for low pads making the sound. Yes, for you it is $99. With their markup it wont be.

·
Registered
2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi (V6, 6AT)
100 Posts
It seems like you reference 2 noises...one is a high pitched whine, the other is a low pitched rumble.

I definitely don't have the experience that Diggs has, but just for the sake of a second opinion...wouldn't a wheel bearing issue be marked by a consistent drone/humming clearly coming from a wheel/hub area? Also, shouldn't the noise be consistent and ever present? (ie minimal at slow speeds, increasing in volume as speed increases, but never going away). I've only had a wheel bearing go bad in my Subaru and the noise was always there and got louder the faster I went and quieted down as I slowed down.

To me, high pitched whining would be belt/pully/tensioner related. Or maybe the whine is related to electrical interference? I'm currently hunting down an intermittent, ultra high pitched electrical whine on my car (I was hoping this was the thread to solve my problems!)

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Could be.... If you have a jack, jack it up and check for wheel play. Plenty of youtube vids to help diagnose.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, it must be the pads, Diggs was right. ****! It just started to grind. I gotta park it so I don't kill the rotors.

I looked at these before and I remember that aero calipers scared me off, could someone tell me how aero is different and what I need to have additionally? I changed brakes on regular 93 and 95 with no issues.

I believe on this aero I needed to remove the clip holding the hose, do I just yank it off with pliers?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
brake jobs are brake jobs. nothing special about aero calipers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done, thanks everyone. I had some nice pads sitting in a shed, I will let you know if the sound comes back. The video above was great, like that guy I also had the shittiest pads before which was funny. Now onto the evap purge valve!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts