SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, hoping you can help....I just joined the site and have searched to see if this topic has been raised before, couldn't find any reference so I thought I'd ask the question....

I bought a second hand 93 Aero, 03 plate from a dealership under their Approved Used scheme. I love the car but have now noticed a high pitched whine coming from the screen on the es-3 system and its beginning to drive me mad. Its there all the time, even when the key is not in the ignition, does not respond to things being switched on/off and is only drowned out when there is enough road noise or music to do so!

The dealer had the car last week, the service engineer acknowledged the whine but said it was nothing serious and in any case, little/nothing they could do....? Has anyone had this same issue? If so, did you get it resolved and if so, how? I fear the screen could be on its way out, rendering the whole system useless.....

Also, on I guess a related matter - the 6 cd autochanger does not (and has not since I owned) work. I know I should've checked before I bought but foolishly I just assumed it would given it had been through all the checks etc. Certainly won't be making that mistake again but Saab now `checking to see if we can cover this under the warranty' as they have advised that it needs a completely new autochanger. I certainly think they should, though I acknowledge it is now my word against theirs as it were that the CD player did not work when I bought the car - what do people on here think? Am I being unrealistic?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
381 Posts
You have my sympathy on this.

When I took my 2004 93SS out for a test drive I turned the stereo OFF so that I could listen to the engine etc.

What a mistake!!!

It wasn't until I got it I realised just how bad my 4 speaker set up was. I have never given a second thought to car audio, I only really listen to the radio and not too loud at that!

With the 4 speaker setup I couldn't even bear to listen to the radio so had to turn the whole thing off. A speaker upgrade has improved things but OMG, why are Saab treating it's customers with such contempt by fitting these AWFUL systems?

I upgraded my head unit from an ICM1 to an ICM3 so I can confirm that the whine you are hearing isn't normal. Mine is silent.

Good luck in getting the repair under warranty.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sounds like there is a bad inductor inside the es-3 headunit. There is nothing that the dealership could do except to replace the entire unit. I am sure the problem can be solved at the component level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both.

epsilon93, you say it might be a bad inductor.....is that a DIY job and would I be able to fix myself, bearing in mind I have NO experience here?

As for the replacement autochanger, Saab have said it is not covered under the warranty however they are referring it to the Sales Director. They say it would have been confirmed to be working as part of the multi-point check the car goes through....

That said, I must admit to some doubts as to the extent of these checks. When the car was in last week I mentioned that the seatbelts were not retracting properly. My contact there said that the seat belt issue was known to them and part of a recent (recent as in within the last 2 months) product recall and so they have been fixed for me. Same too for a replacement hose of some sort(?). However, looking on the VOSA and AA websites, the seatbelt recall was back in Feb 05.

If that is the case, surely a) The dealer should have checked that the car had been in for the necessary recalls and b) Why was the issue not picked up and fixed when the car was being prepared for sale under the Approved Used car plan and undergoing the multi-point check?

Can anyone shed any light on any recent recalls and whether they think the dealership is rapidly trying to cover its back?

Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I really like the car but am beginning to feel that I'm being taken for a ride....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It's NOT a DIY job if you have no experience. You will be dealing with very delicate electronic components inside the headunit. You will also need to identify the component and get a replacement part which may not be something you can get from Maplin. From you description it sure sounds like a bad inductor to me (actually it could even be a capacitor).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. As I thought - really don't want to start poking around in there.

Anyone got any recommendations as to where in SW London I can get it fixed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts