SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem: when I start car in mornings, a high-pitch noise comes from engine. It gets worse when I step on the gas. It goes away after the engine is warm. Now I am also hearing a fan clicking noise as well. I just replaced Serpentine belt. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Belt/tension pulley

I had my belt replaced at 30000 miles, it was squeeling when AC was on, usually hot weather. After they replaced belt, it "occasionally" squeeled. They just replaced the belt AND the tension pulley. Saab said there was too much slack in belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When you say you replaced "belt" did you mean the serpentine belt? Is it bad to drive my Saab with this sound for another week? (Can't get into see the dealer).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Reply to Jen

There is only one belt in your engine, which is the serpentine belt.

It is ok to drive with, BUT, do a visual look under your hood, just to make sure the belt doesnt looked frayed or cut/cracked. I drove with mine for 2000miles, but it didnt squeel as long as I had the A/C off. The dealer told me the first time I had to pay to fix it that the belt was getting worn and cracking. I looked at it, I didnt see any cracking.

Also, the belt pulley tensioner was replaced. Im not sure if the part was defective, but they said there was too much slack in belt. When I turned my Air Conditioner on, the compressor would make the belt squeel.

Ask the dealer if there is too much slack in belt, ask them to replace belt tensioner.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Jen said:
Has anyone had this problem: when I start car in mornings, a high-pitch noise comes from engine. It gets worse when I step on the gas. It goes away after the engine is warm. Now I am also hearing a fan clicking noise as well. I just replaced Serpentine belt. Any ideas? Thanks.
This high-pitched noise you hear, would you say it's heard once per revolution of the belt?
Well, I'd start considering simple things first:
Given that you can hear this noise only when starting the car in the morning, it may be due to moisture on the belt or pulley which subsides once the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature. This is normal.
Another thing to consider is to remove any pilling from the belt or pulley e.g. with a wire brush.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't like to be the bearer of very bad news, but what you're describing is clearly your oil not getting to the high part of your engine, your oil pickup screen is obviously blocked, and when the oil is cold and thick it does not get enough pressure and does not lubricate the top part of the engine. When it gets warmer, it lightens and is more fluid, thus getting a little more pressure and oiling this upper part. The whine begins just at cranck-up, and after the temp needle gets into the normal (or almost) operating temperatur, there is this high pitched whine.

You have to drop your oil pan immediately and clean your pickup screen or you won't have an engine in a few miles. I don't know how long this has been going on, but the sooner, the better.

Believe me, I know, I went through the same fase, in those times I went to the Saab/Porsche dealer, and they told me it was the electrical clutch for the AC compressor (I have it in writing), until i disconnected it and found it was coming from the chain and the upper part of the engine. Took the oil pan off, and was I lucky, it was 90% blocked with debris. I did not loose my engine, but a couple of more weeks and that would have been it.

Since then, I have diagnosed quite a few Saab cold starting noises, all with the same results...

Nowadays, I do not care what Saab says, I use good Mobil 1 0w40, and change it every 10,000 kms, and I have a good quality oil filter. Things look much better since then.

Just my experience...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Or maybe from your starter? My starter gives a high pitched noise on every cold start. It only lasts about 1 second though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't like to be the bearer of very bad news, but what you're describing is clearly your oil not getting to the high part of your engine, your oil pickup screen is obviously blocked, and when the oil is cold and thick it does not get enough pressure and does not lubricate the top part of the engine. When it gets warmer, it lightens and is more fluid, thus getting a little more pressure and oiling this upper part. The whine begins just at cranck-up, and after the temp needle gets into the normal (or almost) operating temperatur, there is this high pitched whine.

You have to drop your oil pan immediately and clean your pickup screen or you won't have an engine in a few miles. I don't know how long this has been going on, but the sooner, the better.

Believe me, I know, I went through the same fase, in those times I went to the Saab/Porsche dealer, and they told me it was the electrical clutch for the AC compressor (I have it in writing), until i disconnected it and found it was coming from the chain and the upper part of the engine. Took the oil pan off, and was I lucky, it was 90% blocked with debris. I did not loose my engine, but a couple of more weeks and that would have been it.

Since then, I have diagnosed quite a few Saab cold starting noises, all with the same results...

Nowadays, I do not care what Saab says, I use good Mobil 1 0w40, and change it every 10,000 kms, and I have a good quality oil filter. Things look much better since then.

Just my experience...
Your post got me worried about my beloved ****box.
My car makes this somewhat subtle high pitched noise:
https://youtu.be/o9J-an53lU0

You can hear it the best when in the back right, in front of the tire.
When switching into reverse the noise gets a little lower:
https://youtu.be/wU4VZHC9eJY

What is it?

Top of engine, tell you anything?:
https://youtu.be/NYcfEZXQg80

1 - 8 of 8 Posts