SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any advice on buying a 2002 93se with 98k miles on it. The Saab main dealer has serviced it every 6k miles from new and although the high mileage it is in great condition. The price reflects the mileage, about 2/3 of the normal price for this car with average mileage.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I would consider that low milage in a Saab. In that car's case, it more depends on the service. I would say go for it, because if somebody drove it that much, they must have known to keep it up. Sounds like the car was vital to them, and they couldn't afford to have it break down on them.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Looked after every 6k miles. If the condition overall reflects a careful owner, then, IMHO, this speaks very favourably for any potential buyer. 98k is not OTT, too. Must be worthy of a punt, if all else checks out.

HTH

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Welcome Paul.
I'll move this to the NG900/9-3 forum. That is the forum you will be hanging out on the most. ;)
EVERY 6K since new? Nice. :cool:
If you take care of your Saab, it will take care of you.
Especially the 02's. By this time the design was very solid and reliable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Saab Purchase

Hi Paul

It would be useful for everyone at the forum to get an idea of the unusal high price you have to pay for cars in The Republic! In terms of the service history and the 6k that's the same as the UK, I think. Have you looked at private sales, rather than dealers? I was in Dublin last week and I was pleasantly surprised how many Saabs I saw in the City.
Clearly, at the moment it's a buyers market for cars both in the UK and The Republic so don't let your heart rule your head on this one! If you have time and patience you might get a better deal on a private sale.

Keep us informed and all the very best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rip off republic

It is true in the Republic we do pay alot for our cars. Below is a table from an Irish Gov. website showing the VRT(vehicle registration tax) that you would pay on a secondhand import. If I drove up North and picked up a 2002 93 in Belfast I would have to pay 30% of the OMSP(open market sale price) in tax on the car.The OMSP is the price in the Republic not the country you import from. This basically negates any savings that I could make. Its worth pointing out that pre tax prices of cars in the Republic are amongst the cheapest in Europe as manufacturers are forced to do this to stop frightening away all potential buyers.
The 2002 93 with 98k I mentioned is for sale at 13k euro, with average mileage(36-40k) it would be 19-20K euro so it is a big saving.
The main thing I was wondering about was potential expense in the near future. I do very little mileage a year(5-7k) but wonder what major expenses are looming on the horizon?

Cars up to 1400 cc 22.5% of OMSP, (subject to a min. tax of 315 euro) Cars 1401cc-1900cc 25% of OMSP (subject to a min. tax of 315 euro) Cars over 1900cc 30% of OMSP (subject to a min. tax of 315 euro)
Mesaboog said:
Hi Paul

It would be useful for everyone at the forum to get an idea of the unusal high price you have to pay for cars in The Republic! In terms of the service history and the 6k that's the same as the UK, I think. Have you looked at private sales, rather than dealers? I was in Dublin last week and I was pleasantly surprised how many Saabs I saw in the City.
Clearly, at the moment it's a buyers market for cars both in the UK and The Republic so don't let your heart rule your head on this one! If you have time and patience you might get a better deal on a private sale.

Keep us informed and all the very best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts