SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car was idling high at the time I took my car to get my wipers fixed (cable broke and I couldn't get the AC compressor off) anyway I took my car to a shop around here that works on saabs,they fixed the wiper(I provided them a brand new cable) and they corrected the idle...Fast forward a week and a half latter my car idles at 1500+ rpm(I can go 35 in 5th off idle) so I checked under the hood and started pinching vaccum lines and hoses.When I got to one of the large hoses going from the throttle body to the AIC valve,when I pinched it my idle droped to where its supposed to sit.Does that mean the line is bad or does that mean the AIC is bad?

edit:I pinched the lines after I had been driving around for a while.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
It sounds like the AIC valve is stuck open. It should have been closed when you pinched the hose with the engine hot.

Remove the AIC and blast it thoroughly through with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Let the solvent soak for a bit, and then blast it again. Allow to air-dry and follow up with a shot of WD40.

That action in most cases will clear a sticking AIC.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even after blasting it numerous times with carb cleaner it still idles high once the engine has warmed up...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Compressed air?

Matthew said:
It sounds like the AIC valve is stuck open. It should have been closed when you pinched the hose with the engine hot.

Remove the AIC and blast it thoroughly through with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Let the solvent soak for a bit, and then blast it again. Allow to air-dry and follow up with a shot of WD40.

That action in most cases will clear a sticking AIC.
would it be detrimental to the AIC to blow it with compressed air?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Double check that the actual idle screw is tight. I had one that was not tight after adjustment and slowly worked its way out.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
GearHead said:
even after blasting it numerous times with carb cleaner it still idles high once the engine has warmed up...
Since you've squeezed the pipe off the AAV and idle lowered, that's where your problem is ... two things to know about the AAV:

1. They break ... yes, they do. A replacement from Bosch was about 80 UKP when mind broke. Sometimes, you're just unlucky.

2. They close when power is applied, which is controlled by the warm up cycle.

Just check that you get power to the valve. Also, check that the electrical contacts have not been pushed back up the plug. My most recent AAV issue was simply that one of the electrical contacts was not connecting to the actual valve and therefore not closing the valve once the car was warmed up. The valve will be open when cold and then you will be able to see an oval disc shape when the car is warm (put the key to the pre-crank position and look down the valve with the pipes removed).

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts