SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the next on my hit-list of power modifications, due to it being relativly inexpensive.

My question is which one to get?

I know that Abbott Racing do one, but that is £300 + VAT
E*L*K*Parts also do one for £250 inc VAT, which appears to differ slightly.

Which of these two (or any others available in England) would people recommend I go for?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd go for fully custom, unless you want the chrome look (something I dont care about) I'd try talking to a local muffler shop to see what they can do for you. Thats my cost-effective idea :twocents:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, may do that. There is a "Powerflow" not too far from me, will see what they can come up with.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
For the extra few 100g in weight you'll get the same made up out of stainless steel for under £100 i'd have thought, just take a few pic's of each to which ever garage you go to so they can fab it up (search for threads started by Ragtopcav to find pic's).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Si. :D

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Make your own... ;)

Get some 2.5" stainless steel, silicone truck radiator hose, and some good clamps...

Spend the savings on a night out with the missus...:cool:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen your motor, Mike. Nice!

as for the t7 guy.. isn't the 06+ OE pipe supposed to be the best out there?
you mean the intake pipe to filter right? not the upper intercooler piping?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That looks good but I can see some welding skills will be needed to fit the BOV ( and Intake temp on T5). Did you also fabricate the throttle elbow? - this part ( the OE casting) looks like the only real restriction to good gasflow on the IC to throttle tract on a T5. It needs to both change angle as smoothly as space alows while at the same time increasing diameter from the pipe to the throttle.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
G96nt said:
I don't think I've ever seen your motor, Mike. Nice!

as for the t7 guy.. isn't the 06+ OE pipe supposed to be the best out there?
you mean the intake pipe to filter right? not the upper intercooler piping?
The 06+ pipe is plenty good for the std turbo, but it wont fit pre 06 cars without the compressor housing mod. I would not bother/ waste money on the after market ones, since the more or less fail to imporve the last bend restriction, i.e most vital place.
One alternative is to fab up your own pipe with a silicone coupler at the end, but there isnt too much space available.

As a side note, if you're not running much bhp the std T7 plastic is a better choice since it will keep the charge air cooler, but for all show no go type mods the stainless blig bling pipes work wonders ;)
412bhp with T7 platic
507bhp with T5 aluminum

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
But...But Abbott claim a 12hp increase and that they are 'mandatory' for power above 200bhp.........

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
G96nt said:
It may very well be.
Does their pipe include a filter?
please...

they list 12bhp for delivery pipe
10bhp for cobra
12 bhp for IC

So a stage III would give 330+ bhp with these add-ons? :cheesy:

Who know maybe I will brake 600bhp with the GT3071 when some day once I get the "micracle" parts underneth the bonnet and it wont make a difference weather the compressor exceed its capability by 100hp:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I dont know about overseas, but here... you can't just make arbitrary claims of product benefits in advertsements.

They have to be substantiated.

mohhhhh well.

[threadjack]Vigge, I have the Details of that 2.4L mitsu if you want 'em
I'll PM 'em on over

[/threadjack]

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Vigge said:
412bhp with T7 platic
507bhp with T5 aluminum

Hey Vigge....

Here's your next test: try an aftermarket pipe while keeping your current setup the same. You're one of the few people to actually be able to have a baseline figure on a highly tuned car. (My "FrankenSaab" once had a B205 before the B234, so I've never had the oportunity to get a baseline without the different plumbing.)

It would really answer conclusively whether bigger delivery pipes actually deliver more power.

And you could dyno quickly and return it the next day if there was no benefit....;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
mike saunders said:
Hey Vigge....

Here's your next test: try an aftermarket pipe while keeping your current setup the same. You're one of the few people to actually be able to have a baseline figure on a highly tuned car. (My "FrankenSaab" once had a B205 before the B234, so I've never had the oportunity to get a baseline without the different plumbing.)

It would really answer conclusively whether bigger delivery pipes actually deliver more power.

And you could dyno quickly and return it the next day if there was no benefit....;)
Chip the coins and buy me a pipe and I will test it out for you:cheesy:
Can run it wil 300, 400 and 500 bhp to get the picture "most are looking" for.
Some ponies worth of gain at 500bhp will not say much what the "benefit" for the average user is.

I can toss my share into it, but I'am surely not going to buy a pre-made pipe with the money they run for. I can see if I can locate somebody locally, who could lend me the pipe.
Road testing will be limited to fourth gear though with 500bhp since the conditions do look like this at the moment and studs will be installed tomorrow.
www.stcf.net/viggen/sno.jpg

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
G96nt said:
I dont know about overseas, but here... you can't just make arbitrary claims of product benefits in advertsements.

They have to be substantiated.
So everything that is marketed in TV-shop's in USA will work just as marketed and will give the promised improvemets?:cheesy:

The advert reads one figure, nothing more and therefore it not stated if the "noted" bhp raise was at 1900rpm or peak hp rpm, but mainly the statement is read "this part will increse max bhp by this and this much". Also as we know one can have more run to run variation in a T7 car when you dyno it, or when you allow "coditions" to change. So in other words you can basically promise what ever and there wont be any coencequences that follow, if all the end users wont get the benefit....

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Man, it must be tuff working on you're car out there... We should have snow soon too... I like the larger pipes because they change the torque curve...

I really think at the 350-400+bhp range larger 2.5" ic piping and 2.5" delivery pipe with the larger 2.5-3.0" tb does make some difference.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
John Z Williams said:
I like the larger pipes because they change the torque curve...
Should I go then larger intake pipe and delivery pipe to get better shaped torque curve (=more torque at top end) instead of camshafts? :confused:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
NO, it just moves the torque band over a couple few hundred rpm. That was the case in my car. Smoothed out the torque some and on the dyno it showed a loss of torque by 22 ft-lbs and an increase in hp by 7whp.

I have one on all 3 of my saabs a ng900 and 9000 and it has the same effect on all of them and that effect on my cars was a smoother transistion from no boost to boost and the torque curve seemed to flatten out some. It did not have that wait, wait, wait, bam all the torque at once feel. Smoothed it out some and I think that helps the trannies...

John

1 - 20 of 63 Posts