SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I just joined SAABCENTRAL after my father gave me his 2001 9-5 station wagon in January. The website is very helpful with very good information. Thank you for all the great posts.

For high beams, the relay should have two working positions (1 - for temporary illumination and 2 - for locking in illumination position). My high beams will not stay illuminated in the second position (locked). I replaced the relay earlier this year ($250 total with $110 part) and the second position worked. Now it stopped working. I do not want to have to do another relay replacement if necessary. Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how I could fix it? And to confirm, the relay locks when pulling towards you or pushing away from you? I found a thread from 2007 and someone suggested the problem could be day/night use but the second position does not work at night. Interestingly my owners manual does not list the locked position as an option. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
One of the typical problems in the pre-02 models is the "orange relay" in the under-hood fuse box. Vibration causes one of the solder joints on the relay board to crack and then the lights behave strangely. Depends on which joint breaks how they behave.

If you know someone with a soldering iron you can fix it pretty easily. Take the orange relay out of the fuse box, use some small tools (I use single edge razor blades) to get behind three of the sides of the plastic cover and then pull it off. Then heat the solder on all of the joints that connect to the lugs that fit into the fuse box until it the solder melts then let it cool. repeat until you've done them all then put the cover back on and put the relay back in the car.

I keep a couple of these things around that I picked up from junkyards for almost nothing, ones that have already been fixed. So I can swap it out easily. You can probably find them on ebay for under $20 and they're easy to change. Get one, put it in the car and fix the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate it. After visiting my mechanic, I realize the high beams are working fine. To get the high beams to stay on, I have to pull the relay quickly and then let go. There is no click to lock or second position to lock. When I was illuminating the high beams before, I was holding the relay too long and it would not stay locked. My father confirmed that this function was not working last year so that I why we had them fixed earlier this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts