SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
another issue with my the 98 9000cse i just got. tried searching for similar.
my headlights come on but high beams wont turn on.
the headlights dim and brighten ever so slightly when i pull the lever switch back but no highbeams.

is this likely the red control part or headlight relay part in the underhood fusebox?

thanks
t

·
Registered
630 Posts
Start by swapping out the lamp control and then the headlight realy with known good ones. The solder joints where the pins attach to the circuit boards, especially in the Orange Lamp Control fatigue crack due to heat and vibration.

If this doesn't solve the problem - do you have the headlight switch all the way to the right? If it is in the "Off" position (all the way to the left) you will only be able to flash the brights it will not stay on.

Then after this then look at the headlight switch or the stalk switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey jeff
yes, light switch to on...
wont even flash the highbeams from the stalk.
will order the parts but might try to open them and resolder the connections for them before doing so. they are expensive even used ones! $30 each from where i looked on ebay, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats funny cause mine stopped working 2, i have a few relays i gotta try throwing in when i get a chance and remember

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well all is fixed with this particular issue. sure enough, took the time to open up both the control and the relay and both had cracked solder joints. soldered them all up and highbeams work perfectly again.
now on to the other issues.....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Somethings are always broken

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
Somethings are always broken
It's true, but it depends on how 'right' the car needs to be before we feel on top of it. I tend to let my Volvo 850 go a little bit further than the 9000 (you never tell them, but some you love more than the others;)).

I feel the 9000 is pretty well as good as it gets atm (short of upgrades). The 850? Well, a door strap needs a weld. Glove box needs a new mechanism. A notorious failure in 850's. One day the you just cant open it :x. Mine's open now, but held shut with a wad of folded paper jammed in the side :roll:.

As long as they go and stop alright eh? :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Mmm - yes but my local wof guy wouldn't give me a wof with the SRS light on!
Had to get on top of that.

Then again I had to go T5 suiteing too.

So 3 ecus, 2 T7 apc valves and 2 T5 valves later, and a lighter wallet by about NZ$900.00

And even more gray hair! but it is all good.

Bit off topic so I better go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love that....depends on how right it has to be....
its like i drive around with increased anxiety if something is not perfect. silly, it a 12yo car. but i do want my instrument lights back. i hope a new dimmer fixes that. and it would be nice to have my ac working when it should not on and off and i want my windshield fluid to go to my windshield not spray on the ground under the car!

funny after a divorce and loss of my real car toys, i'm not so anxious about every little scratch and bug splotch.

torin

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
It's true, but it depends on how 'right' the car needs to be before we feel on top of it. I tend to let my Volvo 850 go a little bit further than the 9000 (you never tell them, but some you love more than the others;)).

I feel the 9000 is pretty well as good as it gets atm (short of upgrades). The 850? Well, a door strap needs a weld. Glove box needs a new mechanism. A notorious failure in 850's. One day the you just cant open it :x. Mine's open now, but held shut with a wad of folded paper jammed in the side :roll:.

As long as they go and stop alright eh? :)
At least the 850s have individual ignition coils that can be replaced one by one, not like the 9000s silly DIC that costs an arm & leg. :cry:

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
At least the 850s have individual ignition coils that can be replaced one by one, not like the 9000s silly DIC that costs an arm & leg. :cry:
They're even more basic than that Ken. CPS however was going to cost me my eyes. My mechanic informed me a much cheaper Audi one can be adapted.
Saab 9000 has so many totally unique parts it's a "like it or lump it" situation most of the time.

I've been pretty lucky with the 9k for the most part. I guess it wasn't built on a Friday afternoon. I don't know if it makes any difference that it was Singapore new. I get the feeling that you'd have to be fairly "well off" to own a Saab 9000 Aero in Singapore. It shouldn't really make much difference, but the service history from Singapore is impeccable. Lucky it didn't have too many issues early on. I don't think Singapore is well known for quality mechanical repair.

933,225 Private cars on the island March 2010. Second most densely populated independent country in the world. Something like 5 million people. That is a lot of cars per capita for an island of 704 km2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts