SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 9000 CSE, one high beam will not come on (the other works fine) the bulb looks good.

Should I replace the bulb?
Could it be the relay with one side working?
Wiring?
Contacts?
Suggestions?

Anyone else have this problem?
I searched the forums but did not find anything where only one highbeam was out.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Mine does that. It's erratic. I've yet traced the exact cause (relay, contacts, wirings etc). When both come on, the high beam indicator in the dash comes on too. Otherwise it doesn't. And yes, both bulbs are good. Since this has lasted 4 years I've come to accept it as a Saab quirk :confused:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yes. Just like the drooping headliner in a c900, it has been well known the headlight relay develops a crack over time. But this is much easier to fix than the drooping headliner. Pull it out, remove the circuit board from its plastic housing and look closely. Reflow the cracked solder joint and the headlight comes back.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My high beam indicator comes on. I wouldn't think that it was a relay if one side came on. I plan to test for voltage at the light itself.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
The relay would be the first thing I'd check. Mine was shot when I bought the car and I got one at a scrap yard for like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
SaabKen said:
Hey thanks for tip, Yaofeng. Didn't I meet you on TSN ?

Neat avatar. That blanket says "One Year", right ?

Yup. Yours truly at one year old. Isn't he cute?

Good to meet you again.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
SaabKen said:
You needed one of these :cool:
I wish I had that. But my parent can only afford this.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure the 92 and 95 9000's are different. Can someone post a wire diagram as I don't have the one for the 95.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Go to

http://www.autolib.diakom.ru:8001/CARS2/

It is in Russian. Select SAAB. Click on the third entry in the first block. Click next on Mitchell_on_demand. Select 1997 (only year available). Select 9000, then system wiring diagram. Look for the headlight and front fog light circuit.

I've found virtually no difference between those and my 1994 although they are for the 1997 model year. So 1995 should also work.

You'll find it very straight forward working with the diagram and the relay box next to the battery. The relay pulls on the headlights.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, I appreciate the direction. The only think I noticed is that I have a separate bulb for high and low beam. The diagram suggests they are the same bulb. Am I reading it wrong?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Whether two bulbs, as on my cde, or four bulbs, as on my cs/cse, they are the same. The wires shown are positive leads. I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did some testing and it looks like the hot lead from the highbeam comes from the low beam. i.e. the low beam has a hot "in" and its hot "out" and it uses the ground from the high beam. When I pull the plug from the high beam there is no power at the switch. I think there is a nick in the wire which could or could not be the case. I'm going to try one more thing then I'm going to replace the high beam plug.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Check voltage at fuses 7 (left high beam) and 8 (right high beam) in the relay box next to the battery. Are they cold?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't checked them myself but on the inspection report it says that it was hot at the fuse. I did notice a nick at the plug. It doesn't look bad but it may have been enough to cause a problem. There was no voltage at the plug so maybe that nick was enough to cause a problem as I said. I should say however that the plug wasn't completely cold. I was getting about 1/2 a volt.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If fuses 7 and 8 are hot and you don't have high beam, your relay is good. Problem is either in the line between the fuses to the light bulbs or the bulbs themselves.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a replacement bulb and I'm fairly sure its not that. I'm just loath to take apart the assembly and tracing faults. I would rather change a transmission than hunt down wiring!:evil: and I do computer cabling for a living!!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok did some checking today and found that NO there is no power at one of the high beam fuses (of course the mechanic f'd that one up) I pulled the box out and found that the hot lead from that fuse goes back to the lamp relay. Do you think I should replace this? I'm thinking so.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also, had another thought. I found the relays on thesaabsite and it looks like the 92 (which I also have) is the same as the 95 that I'm working on. Does anyone know if that's correct.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts