SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the electrical gurus out there. 2003 9-5 2.3t. Drivers side high beam bulb died. Replaced the bulb thinking it blew...still doesnt work. I checked the fuse in the under the hood panel, and it is still good. Any ideas?? All the other lights work fine. The CID showed the blown bulb, then once I cleared it it doesn't display anymore.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Under the hood in the fuse box is an orange relay, thats often the culprit!

Give it a wiggle see what happens :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wish I could say you saved me 20 bucks on a bulb. :D It worked though! Many thanks. So do I need to replace that relay?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
the relay is much more than 20 bucks - if you are able to solder you can resolder it and save much money....
otherwise you need to replace it...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I can solder. I just saw the replacement price. WOW. what do I need to solder though? Loose connection internally?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yes loose connections internally - mostly at the bottom where the contacts are located. remove the cover and resolder the connections to the contacts and you should be done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
barnholio said:
Any special way to remove the cover without destroying it?
All I did was to take 4 of the smallest flat-bladed screwdrivers I had and inserted them into the cover to free it from the clip on all 4 sides and then pulled it free. I did not damage anything. You could also use any other small flat items you might have instead!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to be redundant but I don't wanna screw this up....but once the cover is off, the "damage" is going to be apparent, or do I just resolder all the contact connections?Thanks for everyones help...I am not going to tackle this till tomorrow but I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys - this response is a bit delayed, but I just experienced the same problem with my 2000 9-5 driver's side bright. It eventually ended up with my low beams dying as well. I wiggled it and they worked again for a couple weeks but I ended up with the same problem. Anyway, short story long, here's a decent little tutorial that I found out there on the www. I think it was quoted in another thread somewhere on this site...

http://customsaab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61

The connections to solder are each of the little plugs that touch the circuit board (at top of picture of relay). Pictures are blurry, but you get the drift. I soldered mine and headlights are working great after a couple weeks - and I'm definitely an amateur! Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
high beam problem

HI, came across this thread whilst having an issue with one of my high beams - Thanks, that tip worked for me on my 2003 95 estate. I’d changed the bulb, checked the fuses and still the passenger side high beam was off. After a couple of wiggles of the orange relay the beam lit up. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
HI, came across this thread whilst having an issue with one of my high beams - Thanks, that tip worked for me on my 2003 95 estate. I’d changed the bulb, checked the fuses and still the passenger side high beam was off. After a couple of wiggles of the orange relay the beam lit up. Thanks again.
If wiggling it fixed it, you will need to keep wiggling it, going forward. One day that will simply not work any longer. The fix is to remove it and pry it apart and re-flow the solder at the joints at the bottom.
3 steak knives and a soldering iron.

Re-flow all 8 solder joints at the base (the base is at the top in these photos).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did this last night for my Wife's 03 9-5 Linear. It wasn't too bad, took about 10 minutes. I could see the cracks in the solder joints. The only word of advice I have to add is to be careful with handling the relay. I had the prongs in my hand and they got hot as I was resoldering it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been following along with this as my 9-5 exhibits all the same issues . I have swapped out the entire Turn Signal/ Dimmer/ Switch unit I have tried a new Main switch. I have tried swapping out the Orange Relay. I have swapped out both of the Gray Main and Hi-Beam relays. Yet I still only have Hi-Beams when hold back on the column control. The blue indicator does illuminate at this time too. Let go and the Hi-beams go off.

Any other ideas???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes Main switch is turned all the way right. These are Halogen lights. As I said I have swapped out from a correctly working vehicle the following parts; Dimmer/Turn Signal switch, Main Switch on dash, Orange Relay, Both Gray relays that control Hi Beam Lights, and Main Lights. All fuses appear to be good. The hi beams work only when you are holding back on the Dimmer switch on the steering column. The Blue Dash Indicator light is illuminated when the high beams are on. This is on a 2005 9-5. No other electrical issues. When swapping out parts it was done one part at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Yet I still only have Hi-Beams when hold back on the column control. The blue indicator does illuminate at this time too. Let go and the Hi-beams go off.
Is your light switch turned all they way on? (fully to the right)

Is your ignition switch all the way on or is the engine running when you do this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts