SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is it possible to swap out the HID headlight assembly for a halogen assembly? I'm talking the entire headlight assembly - everything downstream of the connector. Is the connector the same? Does the car need to be reprogrammed with a Tech2? I'm not concerned about the HID light on the dash that would result from the swap. I'm just wondering of a swap is straightforward or if I'd be opening up a can of worms with the harness or relays, etc.

And just to nip in the bud the inevitable "why would you want to do that???" question that seems to crop up in similar questions: because it would be cheap! I could get two front headlight assemblies from a wreckers for about $25 each, or I could continue to mess about with my problematic front headlamp unit that probably requires a new $200 ballast and possibly a $50 bulb. If the headlight assemblies are a simple swap, I'm going the cheap route :p

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I am looking into the same project, I don't drive a lot a night and when I do good halogens suit me fine, I don't have any use for the leveling system and the related sensor grief (I think I've had one person in the back seat of my car in the past three years and it was daytime :cheesy:) TECH2 currently shows two different level sensor errors on my 2004.

I have been told (by EdT and he knows what he is talking about) that I can use any halogen headlights from 2002 to 2005 and that there shouldn't be any error messages, according to to Ed you run into problems going the other way/ halogen to HID switch.

I haven't dug into the project yet but I will post any issues or successes that I come across.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Hi all,

Is it possible to swap out the HID headlight assembly for a halogen assembly? I'm talking the entire headlight assembly - everything downstream of the connector. Is the connector the same? Does the car need to be reprogrammed with a Tech2? I'm not concerned about the HID light on the dash that would result from the swap. I'm just wondering of a swap is straightforward or if I'd be opening up a can of worms with the harness or relays, etc.

And just to nip in the bud the inevitable "why would you want to do that???" question that seems to crop up in similar questions: because it would be cheap! I could get two front headlight assemblies from a wreckers for about $25 each, or I could continue to mess about with my problematic front headlamp unit that probably requires a new $200 ballast and possibly a $50 bulb. If the headlight assemblies are a simple swap, I'm going the cheap route :p

Thanks for the help!
I have done this with my wifes '05 9-5 Aero. I took the halogens out of my car and put them into her car that had the Xenon lights. I also installed LED bulbs which are actually brighter and light up the road better than the xenons ever did....this of course is after I had adjusted them as to not blind oncoming drivers. If you have a tech 2 you can reprogram the car for xenons, but you also have to make sure yopur sensors work properly otherwise you will get an error and it wont let you program it differently. On my wifes car I just swapped the lights and gave her mine and put hers into my car. Since my car doesnt have the controllers the lights automatically reverted to the middle position and now it works fine for my car and i dont have any issues either.

the reason for the swap was because her auto sensor levels went bad, I replaced them and we still had issues. I even changed the ballast for new ones but that got expensive fast. She needed to get to work one night so I just put mine in her car and they worked great, so she told me to keep hers and she took mine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done this with my wifes '05 9-5 Aero...

Thanks for the info!

Just to avoid any ambiguity: the "swap" you did was simply taking the entire headlight assembly from one car, putting it in the other, and then doing any fiddling with programming and adjustment? The connector and connector pin-out on both cars is the same? It's just a 1-for-1 swap?

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
I have been told (by EdT and he knows what he is talking about) that I can use any halogen headlights from 2002 to 2005 and that there shouldn't be any error messages, according to to Ed you run into problems going the other way/ halogen to HID switch.

In this case, I haven't done it myself.

I am pretty sure that the plugs are the same, the HID just has more wires.

Beside the additional wires, there's the question of the high beams. The HID system in North American spec does low and high beams entirely using the HID projector (by opening the shutter fully). There's a "666 mod" to make the inner H7 bulbs also come one with the HID high beam. I am not sure just how that works if halogen bulbs are installed. There's also no orange "relay" in the HID cars, and I don't there's any way to install one--the wiring is too different.

However, for basic low and high beam, plus the "city" light, should work fine and I do think it's a plug-in. Only way to be certain is to actually swap them in. There's a halogen-equipped car in the junkyard, but the lenses look way too far gone to be worth taking for testing purposes.

Thanks for the info!

Just to avoid any ambiguity: the "swap" you did was simply taking the entire headlight assembly from one car, putting it in the other, and then doing any fiddling with programming and adjustment? The connector and connector pin-out on both cars is the same? It's just a 1-for-1 swap?

There is no Tech II work required that I can know of. The levelling system is pretty self-contained; the car itself doesn't know what lights are installed. While the modules are accessible via the bus, the bus does not require reprogramming.

See above stuff on high beam relay for possible small tweaks that may be required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts