SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm a new member, and i'm not sure if I've posted under the right sub-category or not, hope theres someone that can help though. I recently purchased an aftermarket HID kit on e-bay, a "turborevs" kit for saab 9-5 which was around £115 ($170 US) so i expected a decent kit. I took the car to a reputable auto electricians garage to get the lights fitted, and then unfitted, as the lights flickered none stop once switched off. :cry: The longer they were on for, the longer they flickered afterwards. The garage told me every kit would be the same. Has anyone heard of this? I heard somewhere that turning the lights off with the ignition only may solve the problem, could this be true?
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have an aftermarket HID kit on my car and they work great. after 2 years they started to flicker, bought new bulbs and called it a day.. i used Visionbulbs.com and have had a good experience with them.. just be prepared to wait.. they do take a little while.. takes like 2.5 weeks and they rarelly respond to emails. but if you can wait their product is good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a set of HIDs from VVME and had the same problem; If I switched the lights offf at the switch they would strobe, but if I switched them off at the ign switch they went off OK.
I emailed VVME and they were no help whatsoever, they offered to send me a new set at full price plus P+P. They've been removed until further notice....Shame the light from them was extraordinary!!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any success with these.

Colin

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yeah, 170???? Damn thats a lot of money for a HID kit. I paid 120 USD and got a kit that I have had on my car for at least a year now. NO PROBLEMS. Xenonlinks.com that where I bought mines from.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Same here. I bought a kit for $60 on eBay for my 2004 9-5. The flashed violently with the switch off, but turned off fine if I turned the ignition off. I took the bulbs out but left the ballasts in in hopes that someone would come up with a solution one day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hmm, so seems like no flickering up to MY2001 and then starts flickering from MY2002. Anyone knows what has been changed? Orange relay maybe? Or DICE redesigned?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i posted originally and my car is 2001, pre facelift. It baffles me. Going to connect it up tomorrow and video it, then will post the vid on youtube. Its really annoying cos good lights make such a difference to night time driving! might just have to make do with the philips +80% i've got on all round. full beam with them is great anyway :p

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Well I noticed I was getting more static all the time with the Xenons in and the static would disappear whenever I shut the car off with the lights but the radio stayed on. I only assumed it was the Xenons and took them out before really looking into it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What kind of kits do you guys have? I bought the VVME kit and it works great on my 2001. Never had any flickering issues whatsoever and I've had them for almost 3 years now. I have DRLs disabled and the headlights set to european mode, so that I can have the city lights without the headlights on. The kit never flickered even on the standard USA setting, just to be clear.

Lawrenced

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Mine was a "Xentec" kit, but they all look identical with different stickers on the ballasts. It looked really awesome but together with the flickering problems, and blinding oncoming drivers (yes, I aimed them down quite a bit too), I took them out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
right, maybe this could be a potential answer to the problem. Out of everyone that has replied who had bi-xenons as standard and who has just normal boring halogens originally? and did you encounter flicker after fitting HIDS? the two could be linked....

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just finished installing the VVME HID kit, and I must say, It looks amazing, and no problems with flickering, even with disabled DRLs, Im very happy, but they are a bit bright, I angled them down all the way now just waiting for night time to see if its enough, Love it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
My car came with regular halogens (no factory xenons available in 2001) and I retrofitted the VVME HID kit almost 3 years ago. They're working fine to this day without flickering. I think the flickering issues are isolated to the 2002+ years since they could be equipped with halogens or xenons from the factory. I remember the DICe menu having an option between xenon or halogen equipped on those cars. If you set them to xenon, it might stop the flickering, although this is an untested theory.

Lawrence

1 - 20 of 21 Posts