SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have installed hid kits on my headlights and fogs...8000k on the headlights and 3000k on the fogs...here are the results:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and a video too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may have...yes...i couldnt help myself...i thought about how annoying it would be for others but surprisingly no one i was behind or passing said anything...

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Nice looks great. You'll have to post a source... So where in Philly are you, there are a few of us out west toward Lancaset and West Chester

·
Registered
480 Posts
numbersix said:
You installed these in the stock housings designed for halogen bulbs?
Actually with the integrated shields in the existing reflectors the beam pattern is pretty good. A camera really never gives a good impression, especially a video camera on auto.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mono vs bi

Last night I fitted another pair of HIDs for long beam-and the result is amazing.
Till now when long beams were switched they looked yellowish and there wasn't big difference between short HiDs alone and additional halogens.
Now I guess that in the dark the well covered part of the road is more than 100m.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Looks great! :cool:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Wow... that's a lot of road glare. I hope you don't actually run your fogs when it's raining... If you are one of those people who thinks that fog lights are super cool to drive with all the time, give this a read:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

I used to run fog lights all the time as well, but after reading that article I switched them off. Since then I have noticed that I have way less trouble seeing things and concentrating at night, which was odd, because I thought I could "see" so much more with the fogs on.

I too have been considering HIDs in my car, but I want added visibility without stunning oncoming traffic. I also want to replace my bulbs less often, which HIDs are great for. Unfortunately there is a huge list of disadvantages for HID conversions:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

I have seen many pictures taken head-on with people's cars with HIDs installed. I have yet to see a picture of the resulting beam dispersion patterns. Could one of you do that for me? I want to see how bad the glare is above the cutoff line compared to OEM halogens. This is primarily what I am worried about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jssaab said:
Nice looks great. You'll have to post a source... So where in Philly are you, there are a few of us out west toward Lancaset and West Chester
im right outside of philly, in bensalem...like 30 mins from king of prussia mall (if you know where that is)

honestly, i dont think that my lights bother people passing in the opposite direction for a couple reasons
1. my car is lower than theirs so they dont look at the lights ateye level...so maybe in a vehicle like a truck where they blind the crap out of me cause im eye level with their headlights can i see hids being a problem...
2. my headlight housings are aimed correctly so they are 95% on the road...
3. i dont drive with fogs on all the time...
besides, no one has ever honked at me at night or flashed their high beams at me so...well...you get the idea...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow... that's a lot of road glare. I hope you don't actually run your fogs when it's raining...
:nono;
I turn on them to compare H7 to 4300K HIDs.
I'm not competent so much in that area,but with aftermarket HID kit I've passed MOT twice ,tested with similar computerized beam analyser.
My choice both time was 4300K-the lowest and whiter pattern .
With my job it happens to drive empty roads at night and I like powerful lights very much.
Never expire glare problems with HIDs on short beam with stock headlights levelling.
Projector headlights become more and more popular ,and only few models of Peugeot and Volvo have stock reflector HIDs with similar to aftermarket type "S" bulbs.The eye physiological changes described in this articles are correct,but generally we are day-light evolute mammals and most of the systems of human body perform better during daylight -ie in lighter not darker environment.
As you know this bulbs we use in retrofitted HIDs are specially designed and produced for reflector type headlight.
Now with more than a year with HIDs I will look for HID equipped cars for ever,it is very unpleasant for me to drive a friend 9-3 with brand new halogen headlights.
Like in every tuning there are safety margins which must not be crossed-like really too powerful and illegal 55W HIDs,very high colour temperature -purple or deep blue bulbs,very cheap with bad pattern kits which will glare other drivers,etc.,etc.
But discarding the great improvement of HID at all is not serious for me.

G

·
HID Foglights

I just recemtly purchased two kits, one for my low beams and one for my foglights. I had a 6000K kit in my last Saab but after seeing your pictures it quickly became an easy decision to go with the 8000K for the lows. I also bought 4300K for the foglights, so they might actually double as another set of low beams, who knows? I have yet to begin installing either, they are a christmas presents to myself and I am waiting to open them christmas morning (this might sound silly but I am so excited I feel like a kid). Anyway, my question is as follows; how did you rig the foglights so that the housing remains waterproof/air-tight? I have taken a close look and it appears to me that some creativity might be required to accomplish this. Any answers or suggestions you might have are, as always, greatly appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
809 Posts
The fog light bulbs aren't H7,same size,but different -90 degree bend base with thread and they just tighten up .
8000 is too blue for me:D.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
stipud said:
Wow... that's a lot of road glare. I hope you don't actually run your fogs when it's raining... If you are one of those people who thinks that fog lights are super cool to drive with all the time, give this a read:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

I used to run fog lights all the time as well, but after reading that article I switched them off. Since then I have noticed that I have way less trouble seeing things and concentrating at night, which was odd, because I thought I could "see" so much more with the fogs on.

I too have been considering HIDs in my car, but I want added visibility without stunning oncoming traffic. I also want to replace my bulbs less often, which HIDs are great for. Unfortunately there is a huge list of disadvantages for HID conversions:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

I have seen many pictures taken head-on with people's cars with HIDs installed. I have yet to see a picture of the resulting beam dispersion patterns. Could one of you do that for me? I want to see how bad the glare is above the cutoff line compared to OEM halogens. This is primarily what I am worried about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
I still drive with my fog lights on... :confused: I like being able to have a wide angle of vision over distance driving where I do, even if the wide angle doesn't go very far. Having your wide angle fog-lights on is a great way to spot animals on the side of the road wanting to cross. When the slightest bit of light hits their eyes, they glow red, and it's an early warning that they may bolt across the road. I guess it depends on where you drive and what you use your foglights for! ;)

G

·
I know, they are H1 but the wires from the factory lights are in the housing. The wires for HID kit will have to come out of the bottom there in lies my problem. When I had the 6000K they obviously improved my vision/illumination (times three I believe) but from afar you could barely tell they weren't halogens, I'm looking forward to 8000K I feel they will be just right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts