SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mod will turn your standard brights from flip the flap to flip the flap and add those unused center 'should be high beams (flash to pass)' with HIDs in em. And make em turn on when you turn on your brights. Light output is awesome.

*This will ONLY work with an HID kit, or technically an additional bulb (HID kit recommended duh). Else if you try and tap the already halogen bulb, it will error out on the SID. Trust me, I tried it all prior to this.

To start, here's the diagram you'll use:

What you will need

-H7 HID kit. I went with a DDMTuning 35watt slim ballast, 5000k kit. Cost me about $40 plus shipping. The color compared to the stock HIDs is a little more blue, but not by much. You could try a 4500k color, but I hear 4500 and 5000 from DDM is the same. Just a rumor though. If you want high quality, order from TheRetroFitSource.
-Standard relay. Cost me about $5 at Autozone. See photo below
-In line fuse holder.
-20A fuse.
-wire tap
-Wire connectors (F-disconnects). Get at least 10 of em standard size.
-Wire
-Electrical Tape
-Wire cutter tool
-Flathead screwdriver

Steps

0. Remove battery cover. If you have a standard intake, prob. a good idea to remove it in order to get to headlamp.

1. Install HID kit, but do not connect the power wires you would normally plug into the original plug for the bulb, leave them unplugged rather.

2. Place plastic cover that came with your HID kit onto the halogen dipped bulbs, and re plug into original connector. Wrap all exposed wires with electrical tape, leave out of headlamp, tuck each one somewhere out of sight so you can forget about how stupid they are. *you must leave them connected in order for the SID to stay calm and not give you any error messages.

3. Remove the windsheild washer fluid thing, pull it up, it will come out. If needed, you can also remove the fuse box in front of the battery.

4. Tap the brown wire with a white stripe on the drivers side headlamp wire harness. It is kind of a ***** getting it out and unplugged. You will use a flat head screwdriver to push the red clip outwards. You might need another hand to hold the huge cluster or wires upwards a bit, and out of the way in order for it to slide out.

5. Get the relay you bought ready and tapped with wires using female disconnects and wire. *On the relay, the number code should be written on the bottom near the prong.

6. Add the inline fuse holder onto the 12v wire you will run from the battery to the relay.

7. Everything else just look at the diagram in how it is ran. That should explain things pretty well.

If anybody has any issues, I can get some more photos. This project took a few different tries, so I didn't get up to date photos of how it is set up now, but can.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dude, I for one appreciate the time an effort you put into this write-up. I've done a few small write-ups and understand the time and effort required to "get it right" which you did. Even if I never do this, it's effort like this for all posters that make this Saab forum worth reading. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
im doing it tommorow.. i cant buy the hid's until next week but when they come in ill just switch it. i wonder if this same concept would work to keep the fogs on with the highs..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anybody is around the area, I wouldn't mind making a video setting it up in their car. Else when I conjure up some extra time I'll get better pics.
It's a fun mod and makes things more safe at night for you and your passengers, just be cautious of oncoming traffic with them on :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where would the red wire go from 87 on the relay if im just going to use the halogens for now?
You HAVE to have an HID kit for it to work :/ Must be patient!

·
Registered
374 Posts
if i put a tap on the red wire from 87 to the red wire on the hid's in my fogs will the fogs come back on when i put my high beams on?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most likley yes but im sure it would probably throw an sid error at you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just did it! worked without errors =)
Awesome man ;ol; I want to get a few photos with the mod and without to show the difference. I have had no issues with overheating or anything and use my brights often as I live out in the country.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just remembered seeing this thread, and a different search yielded me no results, so:

Would this work for those of us who converted to HID Low Beams? Where this would be a swap for our halogen High beams?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Just remembered seeing this thread, and a different search yielded me no results, so:

Would this work for those of us who converted to HID Low Beams? Where this would be a swap for our halogen High beams?
i believe this is for the cars with bi-xenon headlights so 03-04 cars

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i believe this is for the cars with bi-xenon headlights so 03-04 cars
Agreed, whatever years have the bi-xenons. I would image the halogen low beams actually use the halogen high beams when you turn them on? If that is the case there would be no need for this. You can simply convert your halogens to HIDs in your high beams. Of course wouldn't recommend going HID in your lows as there is no cut off, blinds people, and gets you tickets :nono;

·
Registered
374 Posts
umm i dont think so..if you have halogens i beleive its still in the projector and uses the flap for highs..im pretty sure the inner halogen bulb is strictly for eu models only.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gentlemen:

ALL of the 9-3's made after 2003 and before the facelift ('07?) have the SAME headlight housings.

That is: one projector lens for low beams, one reflector lamp for city lights and high beams, and one reflector lamp for turn signals.

Those of us who have vehicles with halogen in the projector lens (low beam) are able to switch out to HID low beams with 0 ill side effects. The light projection and pattern is *exactly* the same as those cars who came from the factory with HID.

==

My question is for the High Beam reflector lamp, the one with the little dinky halogen city light in it.

This design seems to make it so that HID bulbs fitted in the hole for High Beams would be big and bright when you pull on the high beam lever.

Here's why I asked my question:

HID Bulbs are arc lights with xenon inside of them. That's why they start dim and then get brighter.

We all know that the Bi-Xenon, factory HID cars have a flap/shutter/whatever which serves to open up the light pattern from the projector lens even more ---- that's how the brights on those cars work; it's the same bulb, just moved to make the light pattern bigger. Solves the Xenon dim at first problem.

Us halogen guys have a bulb in the reflector lens which lights up when we pull the brights handle. Following the xenon dim at first issue, it would seem that for the first ~1 minute of using your brights, an HID bulb in there would be dim. .....this would repeat pretty much each time you turn your brights on/off, unless it's a very short window between on-off-on.

====

The OP has it so that an HID in the reflector lamp would turn on with the brights handle and be bright off the bat.

Unless there are significant wiring differences between vehicles with halogen low beams and bi-xenon vehicles, everyone should be able to do this.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
umm i dont think so..if you have halogens i beleive its still in the projector and uses the flap for highs..im pretty sure the inner halogen bulb is strictly for eu models only.
both my '07s use the inner H7 bulb for highbeams

1 - 20 of 31 Posts