SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 9-5 wagon with Xenon/HID headlights. Went for about a 2 hour drive today and about halfway through, the Xenon warning light illuminated on the instrument cluster. When I got home I saw that the passenger side was completely dead. My first thought was of course a dead bulb, but I connected a Tech 2 to scan for codes just to make sure.

In the AHL (Xenon) portion of the menus, the Tech 2 can't even communicate with the right (passenger) side. It could communicate just fine with the left (driver) side, so my gut says that this is not a dead bulb, but a dead HID ballast/controller. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll probably tear into it this weekend. Now the question is, do I give one of the aftermarket ballasts a shot? OEM Valeo are a ripoff new, and buying a used one is a gamble.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
You can use aftermarket Valeo ballast, but you need to cut wire from pin 5.
You are missing communication, but light itself will work 100%, even leveling will work.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use aftermarket Valeo ballast, but you need to cut wire from pin 5.
You are missing communication, but light itself will work 100%, even leveling will work.
Will I get a warning light with the aftermarket one? Or is that the purpose of cutting the wire to pin #5?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Aftermarket Valeo ballast have opposite function of warning than Saab (Valeo) ballast. So when ballast is OK, you will have warning light on.
So easiest solution is cut wire from pin 5.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
It does sound like the ballast is gone. You could verify by swapping the ballasts side to side.

If you do get another ballast, make sure it's programmed to the the right (right) side. If you don't know what side it's been programmed to, disconnect the working headlight and try contacting the new module, trying both RH and LH.

I have no idea how you'd contact the module if it isn't programmed for one of the sides or another. (Note, the module is the same part number as on my 2003, but your car is CANdi, so, maybe there are differences.)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does sound like the ballast is gone. You could verify by swapping the ballasts side to side.

If you do get another ballast, make sure it's programmed to the the right (right) side. If you don't know what side it's been programmed to, disconnect the working headlight and try contacting the new module, trying both RH and LH.

I have no idea how you'd contact the module if it isn't programmed for one of the sides or another. (Note, the module is the same part number as on my 2003, but your car is CANdi, so, maybe there are differences.)
So what would you do in the case of a new OEM ballast? That wouldn't be programmed to either side yet. There has to be a way to program/reprogram it. My assumption was that the ballast was "aware" of what side it was on based on the wiring it was connected to. But you're saying that even if I swapped my good one to the right (passenger) headlight, the car would still see it as the left (driver) headlight?

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I don't know how a new ballast is programmed. But LH and RH are programmed. They are not inherent in the wiring or anything.

I spent weeks trying to figure out why I could not contact either the RH or LH AHL. It turns out that both were programmed for LH side. So there were two ballasts responding to LH connection, which caused Tech II to fail to connect. And there was no RH module. So that also was a failure to connect.

FWIW the WIS doesn't mention anything about programming it to one side or another when replacing the ballast/control module. Check this out: Saab 9-5 Xenon headlamp, changing bulbs and control module WIS
Check out the final step: spare parts programming. :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @EdT. Do you mind posting the screenshot from the "Xenon lighting system, calibration" part as well? Much appreciated. I found a used one on Ebay. I asked the seller if he knew which side it came from.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts

Note that you calibrate before you get the aim correct. Calibration puts the auto adjustment in the middle of its travel (more or less) for a normally-loaded car. Then you get the aim correct with the adjusting screws.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Personally, I'd look for a used OEM ballast. It seems to me that the ballasts are not that unreliable. I have at least three spares, but that was due to the problem I had with two LH modules.

The other thing is that genuine HID bulbs (Osram/Philips) are expensive (and cheap aftermarket don't last). I'd trust the bulbs to an OEM ballast....this thing, not so much.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I'd look for a used OEM ballast. It seems to me that the ballasts are not that unreliable. I have at least three spares, but that was due to the problem I had with two LH modules.

The other thing is that genuine HID bulbs (Osram/Philips) are expensive (and cheap aftermarket don't last). I'd trust the bulbs to an OEM ballast....this thing, not so much.
Yeah, I think you're right.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on this: I swapped in a new (used) OEM ballast on the right/passenger side. The bulb still didn't light up, but now my Tech 2 can communicate with the right side. It's reporting the following error:

B2575 - Malfunctioning circuit for Xenon lamp or Xenon lamp broken

So looks like a new D1S bulb is my next step.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Nothing's ever simple on these cars, is it? :rolleyes: BTW the aftermarket one I was referring to is not a Valeo (which is OEM), but this one: Amazon.com: Aupoko 89015132 LAD5G 12 Pins Xenon HID Headlight Ballast, Control Unit Module 89034934, 89030469, 3D0 909 158, Fits for Audi A4 Cadillac SRX Chrysler 300c Fiat Jaguar Porsche SAAB 9-5: Automotive. It does claim 100% compatibility with cars that use the Valeo module, but I wonder if the programming won't work, as Mimmi said.
Saab is not compatible.
You can not program this with Saab.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Update on this: I swapped in a new (used) OEM ballast on the right/passenger side. The bulb still didn't light up, but now my Tech 2 can communicate with the right side. It's reporting the following error:

B2575 - Malfunctioning circuit for Xenon lamp or Xenon lamp broken

So looks like a new D1S bulb is my next step.
Have you swapped bulbs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts