SaabCentral Forums banner

Hick-up On Tickover

2241 Views 56 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn
Hi guys,

Another question for you all.

On tickover, I have noticed that the engine hesitates, has a hick-up but this is not evident whilst driving. (sounds like 'hunting' but not continuous)
I've changed the plugs and the fault is still there and my next test will be to change my fuel. I have heard that the fuel supplied by Tesco is not up to scratch, which is in the tank at the mo. Anyone else found this symptom :roll:

I hope it's nothing to do with the DI

Would a fuel filter change help?

Cheers,

Phil.
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
It's not the DI Cassette

I have the exact same problem -- rough, nearly-dying idle when in gear with the AC running. Put it in neutral or turn off the AC and the idle is a little rough, but doesn't stumble and surge.

I replaced the DI Cassette, but that didn't cure the problem. I have cleaned the throttle body, but did not remove it and do a really thorough job of it. The spark plugs are new, and the fuel filter was changed 20K miles or so ago. I have not changed the air filter recently, so that could be a contributing factor. The Crank Position Sensor is unlikely the culprit.

My guess is that I (A) need to get the software reflashed at the dealer, or (B) need to thoroughly clean or replace the throttle body -- about $220.

I have to admit that the whole "get the software reflashed" seems a little questionable. The car has changed due to aging, but I don't see how the software could simutaneously "rot" and introduce new problems. Anyone want to take a shot at explaining that one to me?

JM
See less See more
I believe Chris is having his car checked for a "lazy" clutch on the AC compressor. The symptoms are the clutch not fully disengaging, and the ACC system running continuosly, putting a strain on the system whilst at low revs/idling. I'm sure he'll update here if the diagnosis is proved correct.

I'm not sure what the reflash of the software entails, i do know it monitors the DI's condition but the other parameters are unknown to me. I have a Maptun ECU so the option of a software reflash doesn't exist to me.:(
I'm thinking a reflash is like a windows update (so steer clear it will never work again!...joke)

As they improve the programme and the diagnostics they update the software. I dont think its the throttle body though, and I too have changed the DI, plugs, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, CPS, & Throttle body etc etc etc

Could be the clutch on the ACC or more likely trionic not reacting quick enough to raise the revs by 50 or so to compensate for the demand of the compressor, oh I dunno why its happening but its really annoyin innit :evil:
Sure is Chris. I'll still have a tinker and report back if anything works.

Widows, it should be thown out of one:evil:

Phil.
Well guys, most strange:roll:

The splutter has seemed to have dissapeared, now that I've filled up with 99 RON (90.4 pence a litre) fuel supplied by Tesco and had a blast down the M20 today. This is a higher octane fuel they are now supplying which I think may be because of the higher tuned car on the market today.
This is with the aircon on full blast too and the engine is purring like a kiten;)

I'll give it some time, and some town driving to see if the fuel was a problem, but I may still get the compressor clutch checked out on my next service.

Interesting......:roll:

Phil
Our US friends had a lot of problems with fuel recently, maybe we should do a group buy on optimax next :cheesy:
euroswill said:
99 RON (90.4 pence a litre) fuel supplied by Tesco
Glad to hear that your car's running well again.

99 RON? Anyone else tried this?

does it run better than on Optimax/Ultimate?
Good idea Chris. At least that may sort out if the fuel quality is in question, causing these annoying glitches.

I'll see how this tank full of 99 RON performs in London and report back.

Cheers,

Phil.
Chris 9-5 said:
Our US friends had a lot of problems with fuel recently, maybe we should do a group buy on optimax next :cheesy:
Put me down for a cupfull, i've got a tenner spare somewhere. ;)
This 99 ron stuff is it labeled super unleaded or summit :confused:
'Super' something but the figure 99ron shouted messages to me. I'll have a look this week.:confused:
I hope its "Super Duper". Its about the only thing that will make me smile whilst buying petrol. :cheesy:
Update!

I do not think this stuttering problem is fuel or a/c compressor clutch now. Driving in London traffic today, she coughed and stalled at the lights. I switched the heater controls all OFF, then 30mins later, crossing Oxford St, stalled at the lights, at idle. Mmm;oops:

Me thinks I'll have to elliminate all the possibilities before heading to the garage again, if its to do with the electronics, but I'm sure it's not the new plugs, well, you never know!

It's getting to me now together with the heat:evil:

Phil.
What plugs are you using?

By the way I filled up at Tesco, no super dooper in sight, I asked the woman about 99 RON and she said:

"Sorry luv, who is Ron?" :roll:
The new plugs, which are 14 days old are Bosch FR5DP222 and gapped at 1.0mm (Haynes recommended) Perhaps I should do another change. Which do you recommend?

So, Ron had not got to you Tescos yet:lol: I'll speak to my filling station and see what the delay is! :p
G
euroswill said:
The new plugs, which are 14 days old are Bosch FR5DP222 and gapped at 1.0mm (Haynes recommended) Perhaps I should do another change. Which do you recommend?

So, Ron had not got to you Tescos yet:lol: I'll speak to my filling station and see what the delay is! :p
Phil use these:

NGK Spark Plug 9-5 1998 on NGK BCPR7ES-11

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/produc...&products_id=77

Really cheap as well, gapped to 1.1 if I remember correctly. Someone confirm please..
See less See more
Finn said:
Phil use these:

Really cheap as well, gapped to 1.1 if I remember correctly. Someone confirm please..
Yes thats correct, Phil get rid of those Bosch ASAP:nono;
I'll give it a go. Cheers.

I'll report back tomorrow, splutter free I hope:confused:
G
Isnt the Tesco rocket fuel only available at big outlets like Lakeside, whilst they market test it, or someting silly like that..:x
Finn said:
Phil use these:

NGK Spark Plug 9-5 1998 on NGK BCPR7ES-11

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/produc...&products_id=77

Shouldn't they be BCPR6ES-11 for an untuned up 2.3t, or are these just a hotter version?
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.