SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a saab 9-3 convertible only had it a month got in it yesterday & i would not start it just spins over any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
non start

Have you checked for a spark.
Does it try and fire or just turn over.
Did it start and die or just refuse to start

Remove di pack insert a plug and see if she fires.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It could be lots of things. Do you have an OBD scanner? If so, check to see if there are any codes.

In general, cranking without starting usually means either no fuel or no spark. What year is your car and what engine do you have? On the 2.0 turbos you can check for fuel pressure by removing the cover off of the engine and pressing in on the little pin in the middle of the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Make sure you cover it with a rag so fuel doesn't spray everywhere and catch you on fire. The Schrader valve looks just like a tire valve. And to see if you have fuel pressure just push in on the pin as if you were letting air out of a tire. You have to do this while someone is cranking the engine because the pressure bleeds off pretty quickly once the cranking stops. If you get a spray of fuel then the fuel pump is probably good and it's not a fuel pump issue, although you might have water in the fuel tank. That has happened to me before. If you just get a dribble of fuel out of the Schrader valve, or no fuel at all, then you have a problem with the fuel pump. Maybe it's just a fuse. Check the fuel pump fuse to make sure it didn't pop.

If everything looks good for the fuel, then you probably have a spark problem. Check fuel pressure first because that's easy to figure out. The spark problem could be more complicated.

Have you tried a different key? It might be a security issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
And Derek, honestly... a dead battery? Did you even read his post? I know I'm a new guy, and you've been here for three years, but my 16 year old daughter could tell you that if the battery is dead the car isn't going to crank.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
And Derek, honestly... a dead battery? Did you even read his post? I know I'm a new guy, and you've been here for three years, but my 16 year old daughter could tell you that if the battery is dead the car isn't going to crank.
i misunderstood what he meant by just spins, i thought he meant the clicking noise of a dead battery lol :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
These cars require a good voltage from the battery to fire up, so a bad battery can be shown as good, even on a shops test gear, but still not have the juice to turn the car over. This is a well known issue with these cars, especailly when there around 5years+ old and still running the original battery.

Not to say it is definitely the battery, but it's a good place to start with many electrical faults on these cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts