SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in 3 days I will be picking up my frist saab. It's a 2000 9-3t 5 speed. WooHoo!!

Now for the rookie questions...

1. Is there anything I need to know about "codes" for the radio and what not?
I would like to clean my battery terminals, so I would need to disconnect power.

2. What is the best mod for under $100 in terms of "bang for the buck"?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Welcome....

With any luck, the radio code is written in the owner's manual, which, with any luck, is still in the glove compartment.

If not, you can call a Saab dealer and give them the serial number of the radio and the VIN number of the car. To get the radio serial No., you'll need a radio removal device that you can buy from the dealer for $15 bucks -- or you can cut two 6-inch lengths of wire coat hanger and bend them into shape. Poke 'em in the holes, hook your finger in the cassette slot and pull the radio out.

Best cheap mod is probably the rear anti-sway bar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The coat hanger trick is good, it worked for me. As for the battery, if you've got that white powdery-caked build up on the terminals, just pour boiling water on them. It's magic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
zolf said:
The coat hanger trick is good, it worked for me. As for the battery, if you've got that white powdery-caked build up on the terminals, just pour boiling water on them. It's magic.
So I'm not the only one with a self-corroding battery... :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Of course not, I could smear some grease on the terminals but it's a lot of fun watching hot water at it's best. Stupid, isn't it?:roll:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To each his own....

I like the coke a cola trick myself.

When I lived at home, every time one of my buddies would come over, my dad would pry open their hoods and smear grease on the terminals. Now it's a habit. I think the manual is still in the car along with a ledger of ALL the work done in the last 4 years or so...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
To each his own....

I like the coke a cola trick myself.

When I lived at home, every time one of my buddies would come over, my dad would pry open their hoods and smear grease on the terminals. Now it's a habit. I think the manual is still in the car along with a ledger of ALL the work done in the last 4 years or so...
This reminds me, I gotta clean the terminals of my battery! The positive terminal has become a factory of crud this summer. Hmmm, hot water.....coca cola....perhaps I even try some baking soda mixed with water. This I know for a fact...some dielectric grease will be put on the posts!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we talking about a 9-3 here? Would their even be a radio code? Is it just married to the car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I pulled my radio to put in a better one (stock was crackly and skipped on CDs). Before I got it installed, for ****s 'n' giggles, I threw the stock one back in - it worked until I started the car .. then it asked for a code.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Best mod for under $100 is easily the rear sway bar. The stock was in disturbingly whimpy. If you do go w/ the new RSB and you do it yourself, you will be very disappointed with what you remove from the car and VERY HAPPY with the car once you have the new one on.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Slaab4life said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we talking about a 9-3 here? Would their even be a radio code? Is it just married to the car?
As I was reading I was wondering who would point it out. :lol:
Codes are only needed on the 94-98 900 S/SE. 1999+ 9-3's do NOT need one.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
CleveSaab said:
As I was reading I was wondering who would point it out. :lol:
Codes are only needed on the 94-98 900 S/SE. 1999+ 9-3's do NOT need one.
but.......

adamsonem with his '99 Saab 9³ said:
I pulled my radio to put in a better one (stock was crackly and skipped on CDs). Before I got it installed, for ****s 'n' giggles, I threw the stock one back in - it worked until I started the car .. then it asked for a code.
whats up with that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts