SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the weekend while driving down a dark country road that when i wanted to use my hi-beams they wouldn't work. didn't really think nothing it. the next day, i noticed that I my headlights weren't on. then i noticed that it would alternate which headlight would work. has anybody had this problem before? if so, what part(s) do i need to get it fixed. thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
The year of car is not stated.

Most like the orange relay under the hood. Tap with a screw handle and your lights There are small cracks in the solder that you can touch up with a soldering iron and add some more solder for insurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The year of car is not stated.

Most like the orange relay under the hood. Tap with a screw handle and your lights There are small cracks in the solder that you can touch up with a soldering iron and add some more solder for insurance.
i'm sorry, it's a '99 9-5 wagon. i don't have a soldering kit, but i guess i could go get 1. i wonder if it would be easier & cheaper to just replace the relay. or if replacing it, i would still have to solder it.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Relays are like 80 bucks and all used ones have thi sproblme ( You may be able to find repaired ones for 25-50 bucks check the boards or ebay

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Relays are like 80 bucks and all used ones have thi sproblme ( You may be able to find repaired ones for 25-50 bucks check the boards or ebay
yeah good looking out. i called the Saab dealer right by my house & they salesmen said he has 1 there that he could sell me for $160...NO THANK YOU. i'll check ebay or RocsAuto.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
go to radio shack and get a cheap soldering iron and fix it yourself. the hardest part is getting the cover off (a couple of single-side razor blades are your friend here)

Then touch up the solder on every one of the pins where they come into the board. Touch up means lay the soldering iron on there until the whole pool of solder melts, maybe add a bit more if you need it and then go to the next one.

All in, 20 minutes of your time. And you end up with a soldering iron for other projects to boot. A hell of a lot less than the new one!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
go to radio shack and get a cheap soldering iron and fix it yourself. the hardest part is getting the cover off (a couple of single-side razor blades are your friend here)

Then touch up the solder on every one of the pins where they come into the board. Touch up means lay the soldering iron on there until the whole pool of solder melts, maybe add a bit more if you need it and then go to the next one.

All in, 20 minutes of your time. And you end up with a soldering iron for other projects to boot. A hell of a lot less than the new one!
Thanks Unc. i will look into that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts