SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what's up...my name is Vince...

well I recently got my car stolen, it was a golf mk3 vr6..
well it's sad, but I now need a new car...

there's a nice black 900 SE Turbo 1997 for sale not far from where I live...I would like to know the impressions of that car..
I would like to see some nice black 900's..:cool:
...and I would like to know what are the engine possibilities and easy upgrades, performance-wise..

thanks

Vince

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome Vince, shame about the Golf, it's a ripper of a machine. I'm afraid I'm not the best person here to give you advice on a turbo, I have a V6:cheesy: . Right forum never the less.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I have a V6 too so no joy on the turbo front :lol:

To be honest don't go to mad with tuning until you lock the chassis down, they're a bit prone to torque steer.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
uncle ben said:
could you explain a lil please?
A look around the tuning section will reveal that many of us have spent time or money on a few braces and bushes.

The engine [turbo especially] dumps so much torque so soon that the flex in the front causes 'interesting' handling characteristics.

Rear anti roll bar upgrade or double stacking is a common first hit [reduce body roll in corners]
Steering rack clamp and brace is another common upgrade

Poly bushes are a favourite too

The big issue is the car has long suspension travel and a 'soft' feel combined with a front subframe that is independent of the steering rack [this is attached directly to the bulkhead] the combination of this both torque and bump steer; a small investment in controlling these prior to any major tuning [does the Saab turbo engine already have more torque than the VR6?] can be a smart move, that is all.

Once you have control 230 - 250bhp is easily attainable and controllable too. Ohh, then you'll want it to stop, there's easy cheap brake upgrades available too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so basicly, the upgraded engine is too torky uh...me like that.. :cool:
but I've been into tuning before..so I would first do handling and breaking..

but overall, is this car is worth paying 6500 CDN$ for a 180 000k's?
it's leather, all electric..

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Do we love our cars? LOL And how! Never cared as much about a car as I do my 98 900SE coupe. The only problem I see with yours is 2 doors to many! haha j/k
I swore when I was young I'd never drive a 4 cylinder...now I can't imagine having 8 any more. I was pretty naive about turbo cars.

Does yours LOOK like it's worth that much?
Sure...but looks mean little.
I think it's a tad high with that many km's on her.
Was it taken care of?
That's what you need to know.
A neglected Saab will destroy your cash reserves, while a well-maintained one will be as reliable as any Honda/Toyota.
Most agree the best years for the 900 are the 98 97 years. They simply had more time to perfect it.

Look lower in the front? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the seller says that it was perfectly maintained, went to the dealer every 5000k's..

and for the front, I don't think it's lowered..it's a 45 yrs old lady that drives it.. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
hmm those golf were really swift on high ways! they use to cut me cut there all the time! but...with my 9-3 >.> try and catch my tail light (stock too baby! stock!) can't wait to start working on performance parts!) but...i need to get enging checked first

·
Registered
337 Posts
a bit pricey

Hmm, converting that to American Units it seems a bit too pricey. Thats $5500 US Dollars and about 115k miles. Unless it is in pristine condition and has an excellent service history I would pass. You might be able to get a 99 9-3 or a 900 vert for that price.

Being owned by a 45 year old woman probably means either it was taken to the dealer for every last thing, or it was completely neglected =P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts