SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ive been searching the forums cant find anyone who seems to have done what im looking to do (or at least made a post about it)

Im thinking of getting my Aero 'Hirsched' :p

Saab 9-3 Aero 2003- 210HP 230HP / 350Nm
Basically after talking through with my dealer the option above is probs the best one - for:

- value (£850.00) - the other is 2600.00!
- warranty (its the only one of its type that is saab approved)

anyway just wondering if anyone has had this done to their beloved Aero?

Mines 6speed with all but the telephone integration! lol

This could just be the icing on the cake - imo

anyone here able to fill me in on the up/downs if any?

cheers o/

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
There are a few here who have had the Hirsch kits fitted, both the 230hp kit and the 250hp kits, I'm sure they'll be along to post sooner or later.

Yes they are expensive, but well worth it.

No down sides at all other than the damage to the wallet.;)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I too am keen to go the Hirsch route. Planning on the full 252bhp when the car is paid for, but could go the 230 bhp before that. It would depend whether you could upgrade from the 230 to 252 for just the price difference (and fitting I guess).

Perhaps 230bhp would be enough. It would depend on the pick up and throttle response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep after talking to my dealer - for the money and torque they swore by the 230 option over the more expensive 252 option

- after looking at the hirsch website and performance charts [which tbh i dont understand fully] but even for me i cannot see so much of a difference between the two - its a 3x more expensive option to go for the 252 but power wise and performance it isnt 3xbigger :eek:

*EDIT*

Forgot to post links to performance data sheets from hirsch webby

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/docs/motlist_e.php?typ=9-3

Saab 9-3 Aero 2003- 210HP 230HP / 350Nm
PDF Format: http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/pdf/9-3SSAero230PS%2025.02.2005.pdf

Saab 9-3 Aero 2003- 210HP 252HP / 370Nm
PDF Format: http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/pdf/9-3SSAero252PS%2022.02.2005.pdf

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
L3AN said:
- after looking at the hirsch website and performance charts [which tbh i dont understand fully] but even for me i cannot see so much of a difference between the two - its a 3x more expensive option to go for the 252 but power wise and performance it isnt 3xbigger :eek:
It's because as you progress up the power levels it gets proportionally more expensive for smaller net gains, as more and more hardware has to be replaced to extract fewer power gains.

The 230hp kit is just a software change.

But the hardware of the engine is then on the limit at 230hp 350Nm.

So the only way to get any more power means lots of expensive hardware changes as well, such as the exhaust and intercooler.

Although not offered by Hirsch, to go just another 20 hp beyond this level would require probably yet again another 3x the 250hp price or more even.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
While I was ordering my vert I was quite keen on the idea of going for the full Troll-R treatment However the insurance prices quoted for it was far too wide :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh you know what.. i hadn't even thought about that.

think ill give my insurance broker a call on monday - ask what difference it will make monetary wise.

will let ya know :confused:

·
Registered
563 Posts
i drove a full hirsch car and reviewed it for you all .. posted here but not sure if its been taken off.

i had over an hour with it. stage 2 and full kit.. springs.. 19 wheels..

very very nice.. totally transformed car.

worth the money? In my opinion no. over 2500 is not worth it. its great don't get me wrong... 1500 - 2000 at most yeh go for it.. but not 2500.
car i drove was over 5k spent on it. I know you have to spend more the more power you want.. but i can't see how hirsch can justify asking so much for the zorst... its not really different to the others but they want twice as much

If money is not a problem sure go for it. but really there are better value tunning shops out there... for the money at least.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bladey said:
but i can't see how hirsch can justify asking so much for the zorst... its not really different to the others but they want twice as much
Because Hirsch is Saab approved and it has to be TUV tested and approved, which costs.........lots. This is something third party tuners don’t do.

A third party modified car feels like exactly like it is, a tuned car, in the old fashioned way, whereas a Hirsch modified car feels more like it left the factory that way, because Hirsch has full access to Trionic development and Saab engineering teams.
That’s what you are paying for, as well as that piece of mind factor of full warranty cover.

Saab/Hirsch is not unique, all manufacturer approved/developed tuning kits will always be more expensive than any aftermarket tuning equipment, always has and always will.

·
Registered
563 Posts
aeropilot said:
Because Hirsch is Saab approved and it has to be TUV tested and approved, which costs.........lots. This is something third party tuners don’t do.

A third party modified car feels like exactly like it is, a tuned car, in the old fashioned way, whereas a Hirsch modified car feels more like it left the factory that way, because Hirsch has full access to Trionic development and Saab engineering teams.
That’s what you are paying for, as well as that piece of mind factor of full warranty cover.

Saab/Hirsch is not unique, all manufacturer approved/developed tuning kits will always be more expensive than any aftermarket tuning equipment, always has and always will.
And always not worth it.

I understand the whole 'approved' thing here but its still not worth it. 5000 pounds for some wheels, some software.. some springs and an intercooler? then put VAT on top of that too ...

i would hazzard a guess that everyone else tests there stuff to at least as good a standard as Hirsch?

I admit it did feel 'factory fresh' :p but i'm yet to drive bsr or abbot cars...
we shall see young skywalker....

BTW there is a chap here that has a full Hirsch set up.. we could use his input here for the guy that started the thread !

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bladey said:
And always not worth it.
:nono;
I've been messing about with tuning cars for 25 years now, and manufacturers tuning equipment has always been the better route.
Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice...as in all things.

Bladey said:
I understand the whole 'approved' thing here
Are you sure you do.:confused:

Bladey said:
i would hazzard a guess that everyone else tests there stuff to at least as good a standard as Hirsch?
Ah, you're just guessing about all this then, you don't actually know:cheesy:

If the aftermarket tuners did so they would all have TUV approval as well wouldn't they.....:roll:
And maybe some wouldn't even need to withdrawl some of their products at a later date;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
aeropilot said:
:nono;
I've been messing about with tuning cars for 25 years now
so you are old then Richard?

Don't have to guess at anything... talk to the people that HAVE the kit.

like the guy that got his 93 stage two Hirsch.. ...still i'm sure he is happy its all TUV stamped eh?

And no I don't work for BSR

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you ignore the headline grabbing power figures of the Hirsch 252 versus 230 kits, then the post saying there is not much in it is correct. Look at the in gear accelleration times, the 230 is just 0.3s off the 252 for the major increments and yet they both take almost 3s off the standard car. For me this is the measure that counts most, and is the reason I will go 230 route, when funds allow. (As the first baby is 10 days off and counting, that may be some time away).

Any advance on the insurance costs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im more interested in the 850 (inv. VAT) stage 1 i think it would be..

i think spending on your car is a very personal thing. i mean the last thing i would do is spend 2500 on an upgrade, id personally put that towards buying a faster car if thats what i really wanted.

but 850.00 doesnt seem to OTT for what i was told was a vast improvement to the aero. im still waiting for that elusive saabcentral member who has had this stage 1 done to their saab to reply to this thread tbh. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
i agree there... the stage 1 is not out of the question for me either.. but i would like more options for later if i wanted... i was told by a saab techincal guy that work would have to be done on the ecu if you wanted more later like exhaust and intercooler...

but of course.. want a faster car.. you are right... save the money and buy a faster car... .. or.. buy an M3 and put saab int and body work on the top!!!! ha..! now that would be nice!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have recently (about a month ago) done it (the 230hp Hirsch software upgrade). I had it done for 1340 euros (yes, I live in Europe).

My advice: do it.

You 'll feel great difference in power, as soon as you drive off the dealer! Someone above said smth about figures not differing very much when compared to the 252hp upgrade. He was right.

Remember that the 230hp upgrade may be (only) 10% up in hp, but it is almost 17% up in torque! That's where the game is played!

I wanted 250 km/h and I got it. I got more than that though. Now, many cars that were going head to head are left far behind when on the autobahn. I think you all know what autobahn means.. no speed limit. The ultimate power and speed *legal* road test. We are talking about *travelling* speeds of 220 km/h and then having a smartass come from behind and wanting to pass because his car maybe goes 235 km/h. A press to the gas pedal and then most of them cool off after seeing the rate I fly off at these speeds.. I travel a lot and can tell you that most of that Mercedes', Audis, BMWs and the like, need more than 3500cc to be faster than my Saab.

Before the upgrade I had cars like Mercedes C200 Kompressor and Audi A4T chasing me. Now there is no comparison.

Sorry, no experience in the States though..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oops, a thread full of British here, eh? Sorry about that "I live in Europe" stuff. It seems we all live in Europe here! I was reading a thread full of prices in $ before, and was left under the impression I was talking to Americans..

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Howcome a BSR chip can not surpass 235-240 km/h. I'm wondering they didnt take off the boost limiter. Maybe Abbott did?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts