SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I get off of work late again due to everyones friend Hurricane Dennis. And the Saab 900 is running fine till I turn the corner to get out of the employee lot at the airport, I start to smell something burning. The car starts smoking from what looks like the around the a/c compressor and has a rattling sound like a chunk of metal is bouncing around in the tranny. The car would not start and stay alive unless AMPLE gas was given, parked it in the long term lot. And went home mad and frustrated. So I go back to the airport this moring with my roommate and other than the a/c belt hanging loosely, didnt work anyways everything checks out. There is plenty of oil in the engine, auto tranny had plenty of fluid and theres plenty of coolant. The car has a rebuilt tranny and a new water pump....just bought it a couple of months ago from an auto tranny shop(someone couldn't pay the fees for an engine and tranny rebuild).

HELP!!!!:confused:;oops::cry:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
a/c compressor is seized.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Is there any smoke when you try and start it?

it could be so many things, the belts for the AC should be removed first, you need to find out of the smoke was electrical or mechanical.

Is the sound related to the engine speed? or is it constant?

Is there oil in the tranny? i know that sounds silly but do check.

It sounds like the AC is stuck or jammed, but i cant know for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i took the a/c belt off this morning when, we messed around with the car. Nothing seems to be wrong....hopefully it was just the a/c seized up

The smoke....that I have no clue....try using your cellphone as a source of light on a unlit road at midnight....ugh

As for the tranny the liquid was clear, and hard to read but its at the correct marks

And completely unrelated to this I found more rust:( :( underneathe the bonnet

·
Registered
818 Posts
The smoke would have come from the a/c belt rubbing if that was indeed the only problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope so.... roommate is gonna pick it up later today.....so I get to drive the not so fun car to work(1990 civic hatch)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Just a small request. It's a very creative (and plaintive) title to this thread but it is utterly useless. The resident a/c belt expert (whoever that is) might well not click on this thread at all because the title doesn't say what it's about.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar experience shortly after purchasing my '88 T16; the compressor was seized *and* the clutch seized up. The belt was turning, and the outer part of the pully was turning; the compressor clutch was the bit smoking and turning red-hot. I had to cut the belt off; then everything was fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah

Well it was the a/c compressor after all. The belt was what was smoking and the rattle was the idle pulley snapped. Don't mind not having a/c as its a convertible.

Thanks to everyone who answered....I'll get off of my *** sometime and take pics

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I had my idler pulley go recently and it smoked and tossed the A/C belt. ( Funny, I was on my way to the same airport) I replaced the pulley and everything is a OK.. (Knock on wood). :cheesy:
I didn't like the quality of the replacement bearing so I purchased the highest quality one I could find from a bearing shop and had it pressed in at a machine shop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just going to leave it alone for now with the belt off. my new priority is the turn switch...its bad and I need a inspection and Barry's wants $300 to fix it...off to the pick and pull I go.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
vabeach900 said:
I'm just going to leave it alone for now with the belt off. my new priority is the turn switch...its bad and I need a inspection and Barry's wants $300 to fix it...off to the pick and pull I go.
There was a red 900 at the junkyard on Oceana Blvd. (U wrench it). The turning stalk is sitting right in front of the drivers seat. Someone pulled off the steering wheel and left it sitting on the floor. I replaced mine a couple weeks back with a new OEM unit which ran around 115.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts