SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

So I am here is despirate need of assiatance. I rather unwisely, decided to let my brother who insisted he could do my brakes, well, do them (replace the pads). Well the fronts went fine, the rears are a disaster. We can't get the piston back in. We have been trying to screw it back it, but it won't screw in. The thing won't go back together now, even with the old pads. Not enough room. Does anyone know how these things work? You have to potential to save the life of a young man in Delaware if you do... :evil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "screw in". Just put the old pad against the piston and use a large c-clamp to push the piston back into the bore. Please note I have yet to change the pads on my 9-3, so this is based on changing pads on many other vehicles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I know the c-clamp thing won't work.........as when my friend and I tired doing these rears we got stumped at this point also.

Perhaps some sort of push in and screw????

Ian

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have discovered the secret. In addition to the screwing, the e-brake needs to be pulled. :roll:

What kind of screwy design is that? :confused:

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
There are at least two older threads that cover this.

The pistons screw back in. There is a special Saab spanner wrench which grips two indentations on the visible part of the piston. Maybe those are notches instead of indentations... my Memory Cathedral is being power-washed at the moment, so things are a bit hazy...

Anyway, before you shed a river of tears, take heed. You don't really need the Saab spanner. You can use needle-nose pliers held open, or some other span tool to do the job. One time my brother and I sat 180 degrees apart and used two sets of hammers and screwdrivers in lieu of a span tool. In retrospect, that idea would have been slightly better with fewer beers and more safety goggles, but it worked!

You'll find a way to screw the piston. Snap some pix, if you don't mind. I'd like to see this thing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I picked up a tool for this years ago when I had an old Integra. It's a cube about 1 1/2" square with six different pin combinations, and the center of each face is a 3/8" socket hole. I thought I snapped a picture of it, but I cant seem to find it right now. Look in the tools section of your favorite auto parts store...

heres a link:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=399

1 - 6 of 6 Posts