SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Sears Diehard International, Size - Gp 48, made by Johnson Controls or

Deka, Size - Gp 48, made by East Penn (excellent but hard to find)

You can get cheaper...with less of a warranty at several places as you'll see.

Note: Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for Pep Boys, AutoZone, Interstate Battery, Sears, Wal-Mart and CostCo under the brand names DieHard, Duralast, Energizer, Equalizer, Eveready, Everstart,
Interstate, Kirkland Signature, Motorcraft, Optima and ProStart

Not all batteries are created equal, paying less/more for a battery brand manufactured by one company does not mean it's the same battery as a higher/lower priced one with a different brand. Do some research, CCA's ?, exact size? , warranty? etc.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Deka batteries are available at CarQuest and Batteries Plus, both nationwide (USA) chains.

Batteries Plus sells them under the Werker brand.

As far as Wal-Mart batteries, the ones in this area are not made by Johnson Controls but are instead made by Exide. They also make the OE battery.

I find Sears Diehard and Interstate batteries to be overpriced considering that Costco sells the same battery for about $30 to $50 less, with a 3-year free replacement warranty.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
monsaab said:
How about an Optima?
For us that battery is an EGO trip....we don't need it. It sure as hell won't fit, and if you buy it...it's only becuse you want to brag about having one.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
brianl703 said:
Deka batteries are available at CarQuest and Batteries Plus, both nationwide (USA) chains.

Batteries Plus sells them under the Werker brand.

As far as Wal-Mart batteries, the ones in this area are not made by Johnson Controls but are instead made by Exide. They also make the OE battery.

I find Sears Diehard and Interstate batteries to be overpriced considering that Costco sells the same battery for about $30 to $50 less, with a 3-year free replacement warranty.
As I stated "Not all batteries are created equal, paying less/more for a battery brand manufactured by one company does not mean it's the same battery as a higher/lower priced one with a different brand. Do some research, CCA's ?, exact size? , warranty? etc."

think 3 yr vs 5 yr warranty..650 cca vs 750 cca, does it really fit....some of you guys keep talking about your "entry level" luxury car but your to worried about a dime a gallon or 10 bucks a year on reliabilty and quality.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Oh, Exide (there in Georgia right) makes NAPA also..no wonder Saab OE batteries don't go more than three years on a bet. GM is a manufacturer also, used to be major right? How many Shyte Brands are on the roster now?

·
Registered
230 Posts
JonV said:
For us that battery is an EGO trip....we don't need it. It sure as hell won't fit, and if you buy it...it's only becuse you want to brag about having one.
Well it is good to hear that Optima is at least a well made battery, I want one for my truck.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
in many circles It is actually considered one of the, if not the best battey made, great technology. . But it's like the guy that fills up with CAM 2 (Sunoco race fuel) when he's at Lime Rock or such...a bit more than we need, ya think!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll probably get an ordinary battery for the Saab when the time comes, it's just that on another forum for my GM truck, the Optima was recommended.
By the way, here is a pic of the racing fuel pump at Lime Rock. I pumped gas there until it went unattended.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
JonV said:
think 3 yr vs 5 yr warranty..650 cca vs 750 cca, does it really fit....some of you guys keep talking about your "entry level" luxury car but your to worried about a dime a gallon or 10 bucks a year on reliabilty and quality.
The true measure of a battery is the free replacement warranty period. It shows how much risk the seller is willing to absorb on warranting the battery.

You mention a 3 year vs. a 5 year warranty--I have never seen ANY battery with a 5 year free replacement warranty. The longest I've seen is three years.

Incidentally, the Costco battery, like the Diehard battery, has a three year free replacement warranty.

The CCAs on the two batteries are indentical...700CCAs, like all Johnson Conrols group 48 batteries I've looked at.

As far as size, all Johnson Controls group 48 batteries are the same size. I've posted about this before, but they are really group 91 batteries because a true group 48 battery is about 7.5 inches tall, not 6.875 inches tall like the Johnson Controls group 48 battery.

Right now I'm looking at the Diehard group 48 battery and it is $129. Costco sells the exact same battery with the exact same specifications for $70. Even if you didn't have a Costco membership you could buy one for $50 and the battery for $70. Think of it as buying a battery and getting a free Costco membership if it makes you feel better.

Plus I know Costco isn't going to want a receipt for that battery if it fails and you want to return it for a new one.

Sears? I suspect you'd better have saved it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
JonV said:
GM is a manufacturer also, used to be major right? How many Shyte Brands are on the roster now?
GM (actually Delphi), as part of chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring, sold their battery business to Johnson Controls who closed the New Jersey Delphi battery plant.

So as far as I'm aware that leaves exactly three remaining US battery manufacturers: Johnson Controls, Exide, and Deka/East Penn.

Although Exide is the manufacturer of the OE battery, you will find that Exide batteries sold in the USA are a different design than the OE battery, and are not made in the same factory.

·
Registered
824 Posts
JonV said:
Pretty much. A waste of money unless you have extra stuff drawing a load on the battery (stereo, amps, etc.).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Even in that case I don't think the regular Optimas tolerate deep cycling very well. You'd be better off using a deep cycle battery in a marine battery box in the trunk.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I've used Diehards several times as replacements, never had a failure or had to exchange one. Usually there's a sale of sorts.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Diehards as far as quality and the warranty go.

Johnson Controls makes very good batteries. The Johnson Controls Motorcraft battery in my mom's old car lasted 6 years--probably would've lasted longer if I'd added water to it. But that was before I knew that these batteries have removeable vent caps so you can add water to them (and test them with a hydrometer, too).

The OE Saab battery, and all of the AC Delco batteries, are sealed. You can't add water to them and you can't test them with a hydrometer. When they get low on water is about when they fail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts