SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1990 900i 16v n/a

Car hesitates under load, particularly uphill and around corners in second and third. Has been getting progressively worse for a few weeks and is now starting to happen when travelling in a straight line in all gears as well. It's slightly worse when the engine is warm. Fuel filter, spark plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads (Bougicord) have all been recently replaced. The problem became more noticeable after the last time I refuelled.

My thoughts are towards a failing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or blocked injectors. The hesitation feels like fuel starvation. It idles nicely and revs nicely at idle.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance

Tom

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have the means to test either. Did have a timing gun but it packed up.

I'm thinking of getting the injectors ultrasonically cleaned in the next couple of weeks and getting the fuel pressure checked at the same time.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thanks Heavy. This has started to happen on one of my cars. On consideration, I reasoned it might be the injectors. I have a set that have recently been ultrasonically cleaned. I'll put them in and report back. Paul

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Did my injectors too, and guess what. Hesitation completely gone and more power off boost. Glad you prompted me. Discovered the secret of easy injector fitting too, a little silicone grease around the O rings and apertures. Miles better than ordinary Vaseline, easy-peasy.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad you got yours sorted too. I'd say it's something that's well worth getting done. It fires up a lot more easily and is nicer to drive now. Also worth noting that I had already used two bottles of the injector cleaner that you add to the tank, which had little to no effect so obviously no substitute for proper cleaning.

By the way I should have mentioned in my last post that my fuel pressure tested okay.

Cheers

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts