SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this multiplies the post - old one didn't seem to show up.
I own a 1993 900S and I am experiencing hesitation problems and delayed starting issues. Here is what i have recently done to the car (we can rule out) - battery, alt+ps belts, fuel filter, mass air flow meter, cleaned throttle body, currently running Lucas fuel system cleaner and premium gas.

Both the hesitation and the delayed start issues are not patterned: they are intermittent regardless of car sitting for 3 days or running errands. All my research has pointed me toward fuel pressure regulator and/or weak diaphram (where?) that causes leaked gas for delayed startup/inconsistent fuel to air ratio too (?). I also noticed tonight that a connection into the engine directly above "S" on Saab (top of engine on side near firewall) - with what appears are 2 vacuum lines - (one big one from throttle body, one small one from?). What is this cnxn point called? Could this be attributing to my problems?

Thanks Much! -Erik and "Sunny"

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Colorado Saab-er! You came to the right place and you'll find a wealth of knowledge here so hang in there and smarter people than me (which is a lot :roll:) will chime in on this.

Pictures would help, but the connection you're describing sounds like the PCV?

How long has the car been sitting before you drove it? As in did you just buy it and was it sitting for a while? Could be the gas in the tank is poo and running the Lucas through might help a bit. Also check for vacuum leaks...such as the one possibly coming from that mystery connection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunny (the car) was sitting for a few months before i bought it (in august) and since then she has been driven regularly. the problem was not present when i bought it and for the next 400 miles, but arose after a breakdown that required a new fuel filter and mass air meter. so, the bad gas hypothesis I would outrule now.
here is a link to an engine pic of a typical 900. the cnxn pt i am describing is directly above the S on "SAAB" at the top of the engine.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=saab...art=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=128&ty=52

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
I also noticed tonight that a connection into the engine directly above "S" on Saab (top of engine on side near firewall) - with what appears are 2 vacuum lines - (one big one from throttle body, one small one from?). What is this cnxn point called? Could this be attributing to my problems?

Thanks Much! -Erik and "Sunny"
Sounds like you need to connect the smaller diameter hose you speak of from the cam breather valve to the top of the intake manifold; that should sort out your problem. You have a vacuum leak,and probably, more than one.

here is a shot of my engine bay, you can see the smaller diameter hose goes to the connector closest to the TB on the Intake Manifold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks b202nut. that hose is connected and has been all this time...i just did not know what the name of the connection point was, hence the (?). sorry to misdirect you :) Any other suggestions? ps. nice engine bay!

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
thanks b202nut. that hose is connected and has been all this time...i just did not know what the name of the connection point was, hence the (?). sorry to misdirect you :) Any other suggestions? ps. nice engine bay!

the hose could be connected but you should check them all to be sure they are not brittle/cracked. Also check and make sure everything behind the AMM is conected and all your hoses are properly clamped.. Then go from there..

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Get some carb cleaner (in a spraycan) and start spraying around all the vacuum line connection points. If you get a change in idle, you've found a leak.

B202NUT that is a clean engine bay! ;ol;

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey folks! so i checked the vacuum hoses and all connections are solid. thinking next step is testing fuel pump regulator....anybody have experience with this? also, there is a junkyard nearby with a saab in it....if my fpr needs replacing, would one from an older car work or since mine is a 2.1 would i need something different. thanks! Hope the day is treating you all well :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Any error codes out of the ECU?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.